What have you done that's STUPID?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not car related.

i had a guy call off work to me (im a supervisor) and said. i cant make it in. i asked why, he said. my door handle broke and i cant get out. i asked, what are you going to do. he said i dont know. i told him i would drop off food with his pay check if i didnt see him in a week, lol.

car related.

2 times now i have changed brakes in my years and forget to pump the brakes before i put it in gear. all hell breaks loose when that happens.

My cousin was a detailer at a small used car lot. Not mechanically inclined at all. Boss tells him to do an oil change on one of the cars he sold before cleaning it for delivery. Well he drops the oil,replaces the filter and pours the oil in. Well he comes into the bosses office and asks for more oil. The boss says there's plenty of oil out in the supply room. My cousin says there wasn't enough to read on the stick. The boss says well, how many quarts did you get in it? He says 17 but it doesn't read on the stick yet. At this point I almost sh*t myself.....hahahahaha! dumb a$$ forgot to replace the drain plug and the car was sitting over a 2'x4' floor drain! I still laugh every time I think about it....:D

Ok.. one of many stupid things..

Your brake story reminded me of this, and my wife still laughs about it over 20 years later..

For weeks, she would come home from work and complain that the brakes on the car messing up. I would test drive it, and they seemed fine. This went on for a couple weeks. Then one saturday, she stormed into the house coming home from shopping or whatever. Started immediatly complaining about her brakes again. Irritated as hell, dropped what I was doing to go take a look "again" to shut her up. Got in her car, reved the engine in disgust, poped it in gear, stomped on the throttle.... you guessed it. When I went for the brakes at the end of the driveway, there was nodda, seemed the car even sped up maybe. Flew backwards out of the driveway at the speed of sound, taking out the neighbors mail box and skidding the cars sidewall on the curb to try and slow down my backwards trajectory, only to get out when it came to a halt with the wife in the front yard, arms folded in that "supieor" stance, outloud yells a few houses down where I had the car stopped "WHAT DO YA THINK ABOUT THOSE BRAKES???". Yeah, had to be the day all the neighbors were in their yard enjoying the day...

Needless to say, I didn't say a word, jumped in my Rod and headed to the parts house for a new master cylinder for the wife.. :eek:

Had a `84 gold wing come in for carb overhual, ran ok when it came in. the carbs are a pain in the %$@ to take off and put on. After putting them back on and it not running right I had deciced the dual coil pack had a bad side....nope not it.[S must be CDI,$150.00 later nope not it.[S tore the carbs off three time before I found that one of the four floats was upside down(easy to do). Now I triple check every carb![cl

A freind of mine had his four wheeler fall off of the trailer twice in one day...then had a customers fall off the same trailer that night while taking back to the owner....oh, yeah that one was hit by a toyota at 60 mph!:eek::eek:All happened in one day, told him I`m gonna have to quit standing to close to him as lighting may hit him

ok, now one on me.. When I was a rookie cop I stopped to talk to a guy and had turned down my police radio. When I left I went to the lake and found a car with nobody around and proceeded to call it in to make sure it wasnt stolen. If you ever want to really pi@@ off a cop dont answer the radio, that will do it fast:mad:! After the fourth time my sarge rolled up and said "you dont hear them?" Well no... I would be talking if I did! He explained that sometimes you get a dead spot, pull up to the end of the dock and check your channel and I`ll do a radio check. OK I did just that and then seen my volume:)eek::eek:) turned down. pulled up and sure enough it works! yep....dead spot!:rolleyes:(in my brain[cl).

FYI in police training they teach us to ALWAYS blame the equipment, never yourself.So if you ever see one screwing up just smile;) becuase now you know what he is going to say:D:D:D Thats way I cant type or spell, the letters are not right on my laptop:rolleyes:

I was backing out of the driveway recently, didn't turn my head all the way around to make sure nothing was behind me (wife distracting me of course). There is an office across the street that always seems to have nice cars parked around it. Well you can see where this is going....crunch. Backed right into a 2010 Porsche Carrera with the 30 day tags still on it!!

Hit it on the side of the fender so of course I dented it. No one saw it, but I left a note. All my friends think I am crazy for leaving a note and I probably am. I've had people hit & run my poor car 3 times over the years.

It might be easier to list the couple of not so stupid things i've done, But here goes, The all time stupiest thing i've ever done is to drink a case of beer and think I can still ride a motor cycle, the all time stupidest thing my buddy has ever done is let me ride HIS motorcycle after having drank said case of beer, we both learned an expensive/painful lesson.

Ok, another one, I could be here awhile, A coworker was looking for a minibike for his kids, I just happened to know that a buddy had one for sale. delivered the minibike to the coworker at work , was showing him how well it ran, the throttle stuck, i was heading straight for another coworkers prize cadilac....... what to do no kill switch, rode it to the ground taking both knees out of my pants along with several layers of skin. made ten bucks for my troulble,minus about 20.00 worth of bandages and neosporin and a missed day of work and the pay that went with it.

no good deed goes unpunished.Lol. .............

but the kids loved the minibike.

ok this one is more shop related, years ago I was working for a guy in a small shop at his house (very rural area) buisness was so good we move into a larger shop, taking an a-frame style gantry which we used with a chain hoist to lift whatever needed lifting, the chain hoist was hung from a short piece of chin with one hook on it and the extra was just wrapped around the i-beam of the gantry. not long after moving to the new shop i was removing the oil pan from a sbc hanging from hoist, just as i stepped out from under the engine to change sockets the engine crashed to the ground with the hoist coming to rest on top of it. when rehanging the hoist after the move it had gotten hooked in the slack side of the chain and not the hooked part.

close calls can educate also.

Hate to say it, BUT the MOST STUPID THING I HAVE DONE, CAR RELATED, is not spending more time with my wife, son & daughter. RACING had me by the Cajones in my younger years.. BUT its never too late to show them that you care for them!!

I was in the process of resurrecting my dads 69 Javelin and had gotten it started with the help of starting fluid among other things. I'm leaning in with one hand on the upper radiator hose working the throttle when the biggest damn black widow I've ever seen crawled around the hose by my hand. I thought I would be smart and spray it with the starting fluid not thinking about the distributor in the near background........... The spider died and the resulting fire didn't hurt anything. scared thcrap outta me though.

Another time I was building a 1950 willys wagon and using a 76 Ramcharger as a donor vehicle. I was going to use the part of the firewall that mounted the brakes and column and such, the dash was all out and I wrapped myself up around the steering wheel with my trusty torch to finish cutting what I couldn't get to from below. Her I am all twisted up in there and cutting away when it sounds like someone just lit a buch of blackcats in front of me! After I beat my way out of the cab tripping over hoses and parts I found out I had set off a bunch of ammo that had fallen throught the defrost vents! Now I check before I cut anything...... that was a close one

My first car, a 73 Cuda.......it was about 5 years old when I bought it, passed a safety but needed a little patch in the drivers side rear wheel well, right at the front of it........so I (being the obviously experienced teenage welder that I was at the time) decided that the best repair was to braze the patch........so I took to brazing the patch in "solid". As I stood up to admire my work, I noticed that the inside of the car was full of smoke.....(still not panicking, I opened the door to let the smoke clear) and POOF, the back seat was in flames! So, NOW I panicked.....grabbed a pail, ran for water and managed to get it out without a whole lot of damage - wiring harness for the tail lights, upper and lower seat, head liner, side panel. What an experience. I high tailed it for the nearest wrecking yard, and found all the parts I needed (in black, the car was white inside at the time)

How's that for stupid?

Latest posts

Back