What do you like most about rodding?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

Alright, let's get a positive thread going here. What are your favorite things about being in the car hobby, specifically hot rodding?

I enjoy being able to be creative and have fun building and driving, but my favorite thing is the people I meet. There are a lot of great people in this hobby!

fun

sharing the fun, the build, the driving and the reactions l get from most people.

creativity,

l have used a partition out of a horse trailer for the floors, trailer fenders for the inner fenderwells packing steel crate/cages from ski-doos and personal water craft to make stuff, mostly 1/4" to 3/4 square tubing that we use and has been very useful for small things..

stuff is out there if ya know where to look and use some imagination.

in jimmy's truck we used a wheel barrow for the firewall "indent" so the motor cleared everything because of the set back the nova/camaro sub-frame caused interference with the firewall in the engine/tranny re-positioning.

Later :cool:

i like driving down the road in something 60-70 years old thinking of the people years ago that drove this type of car every day and now how boring the new stuff is [just transportation now] :) back in the day you actually drove the car now you are just along for the ride

Anyone who says they don't love the attention is fibbing. :D Driving a car like we build sets us apart from 99% of the other cars on the road. You can pull up next to a Ferrari and guess who gets all the attention and all the questions asked ?

Next is the feeling you get when you step on the gas. These things move so much better than our daily drivers and are like 4 wheel Harleys. I used to jump in mine after the 11 oclock news and simply go out for a nice ride. There was little traffic on the road, it was cool at night, and you got all the sights and smells as you drove along. I would come home and hate to turn the key off.

Finally, for me, it is nice when someone asks "Did you build that" and you can say "Yes, I did !" The majority of people in this world wouldn't have a clue where to begin, but guys like us on here start with chalk marks on the floor and end up with a living, driving vehicle. When you think about it, that is a HUGE accomplishment.........something we should all be proud about.

I also love the feeling of having an empty bank account, cut and burned fingers, and spending late nights laying on my back on concrete. I am a little strange that way. :eek::eek::D

Don

Builds

Same as Don and Tripper said! Do it for the fun and as said its a great feeling when you hammer the peddle to the floor and get pushed back in the seat. Never get enough of it. Mine is not as wild or cool as some but its fun to see people look and look again. And when the light turns leaving them in the cloud of smoke with fresh marks on the street. Its getting parts from friends and from cars or truck that are not meant to be together. Got a loaner carb on mine now, new carb is junk... a take off Edlebrock is working great. Things like this make it fun. Driving in some thing you built and taking pleasure it and with pride!

Just my thoughts.

52 fordman

RUST NEVER SLEEPS

Smokin' soccer mom's!!! [ddd[ddd[ddd

BoB

I hope that's not like smokin' Doberman..... [ddd[ddd[ddd

I enjoy getting together with like minded people to share my cat pictures.

Don pretty much said it. But I really like figuring out how I'm gonna make stuff work/fit.

Warning

WARNING, Blatant suckup ahead[ddd

the guys & gals (and a few cats) on this here website known as RRR,[cl

this site has added to my of love of rodding & building stuff and for some weird reason, most of ya get where l am coming from:D

----------gratuitous cat pic:rolleyes:-----------

Later:cool:

Attachments

• catalytic converter.jpg
    catalytic converter.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 31
I enjoy the challenge of making something work that most people would bet against. I try not to take on anything that is a guaranteed failure, though. I like building and inventing ways to make it work.
Some extra attention works wonders on my ego too.
Getting into a group that accepts you is very nice. Thank you guys for that. I may poke fun at you once in a while, though.
Talking shop with like minded people is nice.
Good thread, Snopro.

Tranmission fluid in my hair, the smell of axle grease and antifreeze all over the shop floor because it dripped out of every possible orfice known.

Great thread! I love the search for new unneeded projects :rolleyes:, the utilizing of unusual parts (dining chairs, saucepan brakelite housings) always having something creative to do and look forward to. The smiles of people on the street, the camaraderie of other guys that get it, especially you all on this board. :D

Making it, making it, making it....you guys like making it.....just like me....making it...that part you cant find at the junkyard or Speedway, that car or truck that nobody else has, making it...that hot soccer mom that gets that far away look when you pulled up in that rat....making it, those excuses to pass up everything but the trip to the shop to work on the project...making it...we like making it and people who understand...

Anyone who says they don't love the attention is fibbing. :D Driving a car like we build sets us apart from 99% of the other cars on the road. You can pull up next to a Ferrari and guess who gets all the attention and all the questions asked ?

Next is the feeling you get when you step on the gas. These things move so much better than our daily drivers and are like 4 wheel Harleys. I used to jump in mine after the 11 oclock news and simply go out for a nice ride. There was little traffic on the road, it was cool at night, and you got all the sights and smells as you drove along. I would come home and hate to turn the key off.

Finally, for me, it is nice when someone asks "Did you build that" and you can say "Yes, I did !" The majority of people in this world wouldn't have a clue where to begin, but guys like us on here start with chalk marks on the floor and end up with a living, driving vehicle. When you think about it, that is a HUGE accomplishment.........something we should all be proud about.

I also love the feeling of having an empty bank account, cut and burned fingers, and spending late nights laying on my back on concrete. I am a little strange that way. :eek::eek::D

Don

That pretty much nails it for me too. I like it that so many people smile and wave. I like it when another car guy sees something I did that most people miss.

I like the build part of the process and then the satisfaction of driving the vehicle usually after the car has been sitting for decades. All my friends love what comes out of my one car garage every 3-4 months. The best part is my son is involved thru the whole process too.

in order of preference
1 my bride sez it makes her feel cool
2 punching it and hearing that noise
3 the sense of accomplishment (even IF i didnt do the welding)
4 the attention it brings anywhere i go.

for me its a life style.....as my rod had been my only car for about 5 years now.

I was towing my son in laws dump trailer around picking up steel for ramps that I built for it. they store under the dump box.[;)..... yes I got some looks:eek:

Attachments

• P4100177.JPG
    P4100177.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 40
  • P4100178.JPG
    P4100178.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 27
  • P4100179.JPG
    P4100179.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 33
Wow, how did the car handle such a heavy trailer ? :eek: I know the power would be ok, but did it try to push you around going down the road ?

One time I loaded a stripped out Mustang body on my trailer to take to the scrap yard and it was the scariest ride I ever took, never prayed so much in my life. I was towing it with my Ford LTD, and even with that big of a car it was shoving me all over the road.

Don

Don, did you have electric brakes on the LTD? heheh! My estimate at trailer pulling is this...if the trailer weighs more than the vehicle pulling it, I hook up electric brakes. Something dinky wouldn't be much of a problem, but a dump trailer and load would definately need some help. I tow an equipment trailer, with tractor and equipment with a 1/2 ton shortbed Chevy, but I don't do it without the brakes.

i like driving down the road in something 60-70 years old thinking of the people years ago that drove this type of car every day and now how boring the new stuff is [just transportation now] :) back in the day you actually drove the car now you are just along for the ride

I love the experience too. So many drivers these days can hardly drive a new car, they would be screwed in the old stuff. There's just something about actually driving a car and having to pay attention. It's exhilarating.

Don

I don't mind the attention, but there's a point when the tenth guy in a day asks you why you didn't paint it that you just want to stop at a light and not get harassed. I like the intelligent attention [ddd

So many people I know are just in awe that I can build a vehicle. Like you say they don't have the tiniest idea of where to start, and we should all be very proud that we can make a heap of parts into a running and driving vehicle.

Great thread! I love the search for new unneeded projects :rolleyes:, the utilizing of unusual parts (dining chairs, saucepan brakelite housings) always having something creative to do and look forward to. The smiles of people on the street, the camaraderie of other guys that get it, especially you all on this board. :D

Come on Earthman, car guys don't buy unneeded projects... [;)

I like it when another car guy sees something I did that most people miss.

That's the best part for me. 100 people could see my truck and miss something, and that other car guy that finally notices it just makes me smile. Usually it's something subtle that I wanted to blend in but be obvious to the right person.

for me its a life style.....as my rod had been my only car for about 5 years now.

If I lived in sunny CA I would drive a rod every day too. Unfortunately I don't, but I plan to drive mine lots this summer!

Every time I get in my truck it puts a smile on my face. The driving and meeting people is the best part for me. I really like seeing what other people have done to solve the same problems as well, it's neat to see all the different solutions to the same problem :)

I have to go with the building part, I like a challenge of dreaming something up and then someone says 'you can't do that it won't work" and then you do [;).
And yes the attention is good too, mostly if their car people. [cl

Latest posts

Back