Your favorite modern engine...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05snopro440

With the new engine technology there are some pretty impressive factory engines and factory crate motors. I love carbureted engines, but just for fun if money were no object what would your ideal modern engine be in your next project?

Mine would be either the E-Rod LSA from the CTS-V or the E-Rod LS9 from the ZR1 Corvette. They're both supercharged and have plenty of power and are very streetable, have a warranty, and you can easily up them to well over 700.

I love LS motors. They're efficient, have high redlines, torque from idle to the redline & have a stout lower end that can handle nearly any power adder! Best motor Chevy's ever made IMO & cheap too! :D

BoB

Which LS Tripper? There's lot of them :D

I like um all. Had an LS1 in my panel truck & have an LS3 in my Chevelle. Lots od peeps are using them here in Texas & you can even make them look like old Chev motors if you want to. I leave mine lookin' like an LS motor. And the LS1 in my panel truck got 25mpg on the road & hauled gas!!! [ddd

Lots of peeps here are using the motors out of wrecked Escalades since they were bigger & had more ponies!

Here's a foto of my LS3 just B4 being installed!

BoB

Attachments

• LS3frontrunner.jpg
    LS3frontrunner.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 57
I gotta speak for my Blue oval! I love the two 4.6 mod motors I have, I would love to have one in my Lincoln, maybe a 32 valve Cobra version![cl

I'd like the new V12 from Ferrari, stuffed into a '32 Track style Roadster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euul7DrTry8

"Let’s start with that hybrid powertrain. It consists of a 6.3-liter V12, two electric motors, and a 132-pound battery pack mounted to the floor. One electric motor is coupled to the car’s seven-speed dual-clutch automated manual transaxle, the other is used to power accessories."

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/f...s-hybrid-supercar-unveiled-at-geneva/#!bc6OuN

"The 6,3 liter V12 is connected with an electric motor similar to the system on the McLaren P1. The Ferrari F150 V12 has an output of 800hp at 9.000 RPM and 700Nm at 7.000 RPM while its electric motor has a maximum output of 163hp and 270Nm of torque. That delivers a total combined power output of 963hp, allowing the new Ferrari Enzo to do 0-100 km/h in less than 3 seconds, 0-300 km/h in 15 seconds and a top speed in excess of 350 km/h."

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/03/05/exclusive-ferrari-f150-hybrid-boasts-963hp-and-350kmh/

Last edited:
These are 2 that we have done here in the last year. The Red 62 is a Caddy LSA blown/intercooled and the Silver 65 Malibu we are just now finishing is a LS-3 with a bit hotter cam. These motors are amazing with the power/reliability and fuel mileage ya just can't beat them. This LS-3 has a amazing sound, a deep American growl with a Euro almost Lambo type after pitch. Can't wait to drive the Malibu! A lot of $$$ at the start but I believe it pays off in the end.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1405087715047.jpg
    ResizedImage_1405087715047.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 13 Nats 038.jpg
    13 Nats 038.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 13 Nats 039.jpg
    13 Nats 039.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 28
  • ResizedImage_1405087676154.jpg
    ResizedImage_1405087676154.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 24
The Ecoboost Fords make a lot of power for small engines. Local dealer sells Ford and Dodge and they say the pursuit Taurus will trounce the pursuit Hemi Charger.
I always wanted to see the old 5.0 Mercedes catch on. It was one of the first production engines with variable valve timing. I took a ride in a new 1990 500 SL once and it was imperssive, not hard to hit a buck 55 where it hits the stops.

You know I put a 6 in my Rat Rod just to be different.:rolleyes: and in the 5-6 years of driving it around every day, a week never goes by that 2 or 3 people come up and comment that its nice to see a 6 banger in it instead of the small block everyone uses. when during the first 2 years I showed it at weekend car shows and there was always a crowd around the car.
of course Sweetpea is a draw too.......

Attachments

• DCP01100.JPG
    DCP01100.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 38
  • DCP01101.JPG
    DCP01101.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DCP01088.jpg
    DCP01088.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 40
  • DCP01082.JPG
    DCP01082.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 44
I used a 455 to be different too. That doesn't relate to my modern engine question though :p

Cool truck!

Sorry I wasted space on your thread by not sticking to the "modern engine question" :(
As some of us who have been here for a while have noticed lately.... there seem to be a very long line of people waiting to post every day......all of 1 or 2 threads each day:rolleyes:........I don't know how we got by 4 or 5 years ago with 10 or 15 a day.

Agine sorry for going "off subject"....just trying to be involved;)

Latest posts

Back