need carb advice.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1963hoopty

I have a carter yf4376s on my 230 6cyl. It is idling like crap and loading up real bad. It revs up and cleans out fine. I took it apart to clean it and theres a needle seat im not sure if its in right. Can anyone tell me what this needle is for and how it works? It just sits in the passage with no spring or anything. Any info is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_20141223_190633.jpg
    IMG_20141223_190633.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20141223_190546.jpg
    IMG_20141223_190546.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20141223_190640.jpg
    IMG_20141223_190640.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20141223_190741.jpg
    IMG_20141223_190741.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 13
I believe Its the accelerator pump circuit

I have a carter yf4376s on my 230 6cyl. It is idling like crap and loading up real bad. It revs up and cleans out fine. I took it apart to clean it and theres a needle seat im not sure if its in right. Can anyone tell me what this needle is for and how it works? It just sits in the passage with no spring or anything. Any info is appreciated!

the valve is there to keep the thing from siphoning fuel out of the bowl...if you notice the "nozzle" is just to the inside of the bowl...it's forced up with the pump pressure but can only rise so far before it bottoms out on the carb top....jmho...

The main metering jet is the jet to the right of

the venturi / throat of the carb...the idle circuit is below the throttle plate...small orifice there.....that needs to be clear from there to the fuel bowl...make sure that if you use carb cleaner into that orifice it comes out somewhere within the bowl and or the area near the metering jet....might even come out of the metering jet but I doubt it..

Thanks that makes sense. I wasnt sure if i was missing a spring or something cuz it just sits in there. Im gonna give the whole carb a good cleaning set the float and try it again. I wanna get it running good with 1 carb before i put a dual carb set up on it!

I haven't taken one of those Carters apart, but I've looked inside quite a lot of carbs, so I have some suggestions for you. That needle vavle is held down by gravity. It closes when you let your foot off the gas pedal and the accelerator pump[about an inch away] lets in gas from the bowl. Then when you step on the gas pedal the accelerator pumps gas up that little gallery underneath the needle valve, pushing the needle valve up and squirting gas sideways into the throat of the carberator. If this system is clean and working you get way better acceleration.
On your idling issue, your idle circuit is plugged. Don't always expect that soaking your carb in cleaner for a while will clean out the idle galleries. After you've soaked it make sure you find the little gallery that starts in the bottom of the fuel bowl and goes in past the inner end of the adjuster screw and into the throat of the carb right near the throttle plate, probably below it. If you're blowing air in through where the adjuster screw was, find the two other openings that air can come out; in the bowl and in the throat. Plug each one of them off separately and watch to see air coming out the other one.
I'm not sure what you mean by loading up real bad. ....It almost sounds like the distributor could be a little retarded.
Good luck

Thanks for the info! By loading up i mean it runs like its choked. When i adjusted the air screw it made no difference if it was closed or wide open. I know the needle is working good then cuz acceleration is fine. I will adjust the timing also and see if it helps. The strange part is it idled an ran perfect for a min right before it ran outta gas!

The strange part is it idled an ran perfect for a min right before it ran outta gas!

Hence my reasoning for dirt in the idle circuit....I'd be looking there first....out of gas....pulled up some bits and pieces or just something from the bottom of the bowl.....but I'd be looking there first....

The guys give good advice.

I read your other thread and I must add... do not use a welding tip cleaner! It's a tiny file and has no business in a carburetor.

Thanks for all the good advice! I got it figured out. It was a combination of float level being way off and a sticky needle seat. I got it running really good but noticed small exhaust leak. So i took intake and exhaust off for a new gasket an noticed my exhaust manifold was cracked pretty bad!! My brother can weld cast so i hope he can fix it. If not does anybody got an exhaust manifold or headers for a 230 chevy? If you do PM me! I will post some pics later when the shop warms up!!

the part store usually have rebuild kits for $20 that includes gaskets, jets, etc PLUS instructions and assembly spec,s exploded view.

Latest posts

Back