'29 Chevy RPU from junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
flatheadgary, thanks for the info on horseshoes. I need all the luck I can get. Looks better in that position too.

All the gauges and switches are in the dash. Need a bracket for a GPS, which will be a removable speedometer.
The seats are finished but not bolted down. Thinking of refinishing them to match the floor.
Went to an Easter buffet and ate way too much. Laid around most of the day holding my gut. I did clean some junk out of the garage in preparation for the "Let's see your garage/shop" thread.

Attachments

• latest 002.jpg
    latest 002.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 68
  • latest 003.jpg
    latest 003.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 56
bob w; I did clean some junk out of the garage in preparation for the "Let's see your garage/shop" thread.[/QUOTE said:
What a guy!!!!!

Oh yeah, the roadster is really looking good...[cl[cl

Who makes the speedo...(and please don't say Nike)

Interior looks great Bob! I've had my share of problems with speedometers in the Nuttin Special. First one went for 10,000 miles and quit moving the needle. Bought another new one to have it quit rolling the odometer but the needle still worked. I probably have 20,000+ on it but the odometer stuck at 2,000 miles.
My 3rd speedometer is one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074J9MFQV/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far, so good! It turned out to be a velometer(meant for boat install) instead of a speedometer, which is not much of a thing to me. It registers miles, but no tenths. Fit the same hole, little small transponder which is currently just tie-wrapped on. Works like a champ. Accurate regardless of gears or tranny set-up. Have no experience with this brand, but inexpensive. We'll see if it lasts and I'll report back.

Matching the seats to the floor would look great. Or maybe I should say that it would make the interior look greater. [cl

Are you going to put another bend in the shifter? It looks a bit awkward from here.

Thanks smallfoot. My friend used a motorcycle GPS speedometer. Another option. I have a regular Garmin GPS that I set to "speedometer" mode. I move it from car to car. That way I know how many miles I accumulate during our 2 months of summer.
Today I made straps for the gas tank. Also tacked the horseshoes around the tail lights to evaluate what they look like.

Skip, The shifter is bent that way from when it was in my dragster and I was shifting between my knees.

Attachments

• Straps 001.jpg
    Straps 001.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 62
  • Straps 002.jpg
    Straps 002.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Looks great bob :cool:
I'm glad someone hip'd you to the horseshoe thing. My grandfather used to tell me about that every time he saw one hung up the wrong way.
Sounds like you have a nice junkyard to go get parts from. The only one near me has been picked over for most of the old stuff.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Ya Bob, you got the tail light protector the right way now [cl

But "you" don't need no stinking luck when it comes to building hot rods [;)

The roadster is looking fine.

Since the dragster reassembly is stalled while the converter issue gets resolved, I pulled the slant six and 4 speed from the roadster pickup. Next step is to finish weld the frame.

Attachments

• Engines out 002.jpg
    Engines out 002.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 81
bob w how did you find out what year you had ? I was told mine was a 31 then others told me no its a 29 or 30 .... It really dont matter but Id kinda like to know how to tell the difference between a 29 and a 30 and a 31 .. Mine has no I D tags no where and it probably has different fenders on it from original . By the way you got a nice project going on .. I do like chevys because there are few left ,, Im guessing because the wood rotted away and many were just left to die,

Sorry for the long delay YT. The year is based on the shape of the gauges. One year has round and the other year has oval gauges. I might have the year wrong on mine but almost nobody will know.

I managed to finish weld the frame recently. Was debating on what finish to use and opted to leave it natural. No paint, no nothing.
I picked up a 8" rear with a 3.40 gear that will work well with my engine and trans.

Work is suspended til after I heal from shoulder surgery Monday.

Attachments

• Welded Frame 001.jpg
    Welded Frame 001.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 40
looking great, I swear you have more irons in the fire than a foundry

I might have the year wrong on mine but almost nobody will know.

those "nobodies" keep emailing me to tell me I have 37-38 fenders on my 1941, and they told me I had 1946 turn signals on my last 1941. :D:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back