rat rod jeep build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwgulfguy

i bought a cj5 body and grille from a friend that was loading up for the scrap yard. rough shape but what the heck. i really dont need another project, (i have a cb750 chopper project gathering dust in the corner for a couple years now) ive had the jeep for awhile and been doing body work on it slooooowly! at a half hour a day (on lunch break, weather permitting) and one saturday a month its going to take awhile.... i just got a 07 canyon chassis from the junk yard, i beat him up pretty good on the price, i'm sure he was glad to see me leave! ive been told that i need to get the dmv guy down to inspect the frame and body and assign a new vin BEFORE i start cutting. i guess they need to assign a new vin? hope i dont have to register and insure it now. can i wait for this till im done? anyone have any experience with n.c. dmv like this? i'm dying to get cuttin on it!

Attachments

• jeep on trailer.jpg
    jeep on trailer.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 159
  • new chassis.jpg
    new chassis.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 160
  • dusty chopper.jpg
    dusty chopper.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 130
Looks like a really stout frame! I don't know about NC but the dmv here would use the VIN from the Jeep. All you have to do is have a cop fill out a form you download yourself and show him the bill of sale (anything older than 1985 doesn't need a title). I hope NC has something as simple. Some states are a nightmare.

a little progress

I cant stand it any more! im gonna start hacking on it tomorrow!
when i bought the chassis i had to work a deal to get the rack and pinion but when i picked it up the hardware was mia. i hit the pick your part yard today and was tickled to death to get all the mounting hardware. (the best $5 ive ever spent!) now i can move the chassis in and out without running back and forth to steer, im to old to do that for very long.
i bought some casters from harbor freight a couple weeks ago, i mounted them to the bottom of a large pallet and set the body on it. now i can roll it around the shop and get it out of the way. i know it doesnt sound like progress but a couple inches forward is still forward....

freebee saturday.....almost!

traded some old tires and wheels for some rims i could actually use. good trade considering i got the others for free! the've been sitting in my buddies barn awhile so kinda crusty! half my monthly saturday with scotchbrite pads and sandpaper, scratch one favor from the painter at my shop..... and they cleaned up pretty good! they were actually for a full size chevy and my chassis and hubs are canyon, so i had to plazma cut the collar from the inside for clearance. a quick coat of paint, mount some $20 tires and whalla!

Looks like a really stout frame! I don't know about NC but the dmv here would use the VIN from the Jeep. All you have to do is have a cop fill out a form you download yourself and show him the bill of sale (anything older than 1985 doesn't need a title). I hope NC has something as simple. Some states are a nightmare.

did they change it .. it used to be anything pre 1975 didnt have to have a title just bill of sale ..Well here in Alabama anyways

missing pictures

after a lot of sanding a minor modification to the rims, and a good coat of black paint.... mount a $20 set of tires and its finally out of the dirt!
once i figure out where the grille, engine & trans and body are gonna sit, ill shorten the chassis.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 52
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 61
did they change it .. it used to be anything pre 1975 didnt have to have a title just bill of sale ..Well here in Alabama anyways

It's over 35 years old now in AL, Yankee. 1980 back this year. Moves up every year now. Other states have their own laws, some have to have a title on everything.....

direction

no real progress this week to speak of, r&d mostly. ive got everything i need to convert it to propane except the actual fuel tank. new tune up t-stat etc.
rebuilt the vaporizer for the propane system, recieved the adaptor i needed for the carb. its gonna sit kinda tall, im not crazy about how it sits..... ill probably change it later.
i have the first two jeep pics on my laptop already, the third looks cool too! id like to see more of it!
im thinking about making mine a pickup, cut the body behind the rollbar and move the back panel up, fab a bed and reuse the tailgate at the back. it'll look kinda like a t-bucket with no doors and a fold down windshield.
let me know what you think, i like ideas as long as they dont include a lot of four letter words! i'll post pics of the propane stuff next week if you want to see them, finally getting some descent weather and the wife insists we go out of town this weekend and rest........:mad:

update

between the crappy weather and being sick the last couple weeks. no real big jumps in progress but heres what ive gotten donne so far.... the first couple pics are before i started cutting, if you look real close youcan see they built the body around the roll bar. i know i could have cut it in half and pulled it out but somebody else might be able to use it. the rest are pics of were im headed, enjoy.

Attachments

• jeep photo 1.JPG
    jeep photo 1.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 91
  • jeep photo 2.JPG
    jeep photo 2.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 88
  • jeep photo 3.JPG
    jeep photo 3.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 86
  • jeep photo 4.JPG
    jeep photo 4.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 86
  • jeep photo 5.JPG
    jeep photo 5.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 84
  • jeep photo 6.JPG
    jeep photo 6.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 83
  • jeep photo 8.JPG
    jeep photo 8.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 82
  • jeep photo 10.JPG
    jeep photo 10.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 90
  • jeep photo 11.JPG
    jeep photo 11.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 85
Coming along

I never thought about a CJ T-bucket [S Should look pretty cool [cl Ain't it fun to cut things into pieces and put them back together [;)
Hope your over the sick thing.
Keep the pictures coming [P

Latest posts

Back