Lil Tin Bucket - golf cart #3

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see more of these in your future! Not that I'm any kind of mystic or anything but the people that see this little bucket tooling around are all gonna want one...Fantastic work![cl

It would be neat to build one of these and let it rust. Make it look like its been around forever.

He must have a huge shop out back with a bunch of elves. [cl

They're not elves, they are oompah loompahs, on loan from the chocolate factory....:D

Took a pair of Model A tail lights and spent most of the day making mounts, might need to tack on a piece of plate to the backside of the box side to keep them from wiggling.

Attachments

• DSC01038.jpg
    DSC01038.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC01039.jpg
    DSC01039.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01040.jpg
    DSC01040.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC01041.jpg
    DSC01041.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 64
I believe this is a real time build! He makes us all look puny, don't he?

Oh yeah, it's real time - I'm going hard on it due to the short window of time I have to get it done by the end of July :eek:
Hope to get it to the upholstery shop in bare steel in a couple weeks.
So many things not needed on an electric car really simplify and speed things up - no fuel tank or lines, no radiator, hoses, fan, etc., no transmission or driveshaft, no exhaust system.... Wiring is really not that complicated, just more heavy gauge primary wire between batteries, motor and controller.

Put my thinkin' cap on and came up with a design for the windshield frame today and made it happen. Outer frame is 1" stainless angle and the inner frame is 3/4" stainless box tube - glass will just get glued and sandwiched between the two. I spotted these tidy stainless mounts for the top bows, designed for marine use, the upholstery shop will bend up the aluminum top bows to fit them, all other top bow connections will also use stainless fittings.
I'd like to have the windshield lower to avoid too much of a "Flintstone" look, but the reality of having to drive it comfortably without getting a sore neck leads to this compromise - still, it's 5" lower than the first T bucket cart I built...

Attachments

• DSC01043.jpg
    DSC01043.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC01044.jpg
    DSC01044.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 80
  • DSC01045.jpg
    DSC01045.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC01046.jpg
    DSC01046.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 79
  • DSC01047.jpg
    DSC01047.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Good idea on the windshield. The stainless hardware piece looks right.

How are you keeping the flash rust of the body?

Nothing really :eek: - so far it is only rusting where my greasy paws touch it - it helps living in a fairly dry climate..

Finished up the tailgate yesterday and got it put on.
Took a break from metal fab today and did some wood butchering. Made the windshield header from oak and got it mounted, also cut some oak planks for a bed floor - they're pretty tight together so it looks like a piece of plywood in the pics. Also made the seat back and started on the interior side panels.

Attachments

• DSC01050.jpg
    DSC01050.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 70
  • DSC01052.jpg
    DSC01052.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DSC01053.jpg
    DSC01053.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC01054.jpg
    DSC01054.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 73
Some more wood whittlin', finished up the door upholstery panels and made the dash from oak. So it doesn't look like just a plain slab, I made a top trim piece to give it more character and cut in a couple curves on the bottom edge. Some cheap Dolphin gauges from ebay are for looks only but give it a more normal appearance.
When it all comes apart, the dash and box wood will get some stain and clear to match the steering wheel.

Attachments

• DSC01056.jpg
    DSC01056.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC01057.jpg
    DSC01057.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC01058.jpg
    DSC01058.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 78
You could use one of those GPS adapters and make the speedo work. With the exception of the voltmeter, the rest just look good with nothing to do.:D

You claim you don't have a whole slew of people working for you... sooo... Santa's elves must be helping you at night then! Just what you've done so far would probably take me 5-10 years! :eek::eek::eek:

Incredible!!!

BoB

You could use one of those GPS adapters and make the speedo work. With the exception of the voltmeter, the rest just look good with nothing to do.:D

Nice look on the dash. Since the gauges are electronic there are probably several simple ways to make the oil pressure and temperature needles move when the switch comes on. It might get a few chuckles to see the temp at 220 and the oil at 80#.

Latest posts

Back