'29 Chevy RPU from junk

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with everyone on the rear needing elevation but if you're planning on bringing it down here leave it as is. For some damn reason there's a fad going on around this area on reversed rake trucks. I probably sound like some old crotchety fool for worrying about somebody elses idea of cool but man, There are 2 or 3 that I see around here local all the time. Looks stupid! Can't do anything for performance! I doubt they can even see what's going on after sundown. Sorry,end of rant...

Rant on, smallfoot. I like it! Some of the tail draggers put titanium blocks in the rear so they scrape the road and create a shower of sparks. This car sits dead level. But it looks lower in back. And it's the look that counts. Not easy to raise it because of the underslung frame. I'll have to move the rear leaf spring perches down. The weather has turned from roadster friendly to closed car desirable. Might just push this one into the back garage and get going on the Crosley, preparing it for the Jeep engine and the lighter front axle.

How far are you from Ocala?

I agree with everyone on the rear needing elevation but if you're planning on bringing it down here leave it as is. For some damn reason there's a fad going on around this area on reversed rake trucks. I probably sound like some old crotchety fool for worrying about somebody elses idea of cool but man, There are 2 or 3 that I see around here local all the time. Looks stupid! Can't do anything for performance! I doubt they can even see what's going on after sundown. Sorry,end of rant...

It’s not just around there Smalls, there starting to show up around here, too. Looks like a dog squatting if you ask me. Maybe they’re trying to copy the old gassers stance? I dunno. Just looks stupid to me to have a 4x4 pickup looking like the bed is full of lead when it’s actually just full of air.

It’s not just around there Smalls, there starting to show up around here, too. Looks like a dog squatting if you ask me. Maybe they’re trying to copy the old gassers stance? I dunno. Just looks stupid to me to have a 4x4 pickup looking like the bed is full of lead when it’s actually just full of air.
Oh. You guys are talking about trucks with the back end down. Now I get it. A 41 Willys PU gasser looks right with the front higher than the back, but so do most gassers. A lead sled traditionally has a tail dragging stance, but ya don't see a lot of lead sled PUs. I'd just classify it in with the "donks". Well done, but not really to my taste. Its good that there is enough room in the hobby for everyone.

Well, they're beyond the "gasser"look! I'm serious. A couple of the ones I see regularly look so high in the front, they have to look out the driver's side window to see where they're going. Without doing some extreme changes in headlight buckets I don't think they can lay lights on the road after dark.

Well, they're beyond the "gasser"look! I'm serious. A couple of the ones I see regularly look so high in the front, they have to look out the driver's side window to see where they're going. Without doing some extreme changes in headlight buckets I don't think they can lay lights on the road after dark.
Looking stupid is forgivable. Safety is an entirely different issue.

I laid an angle finder on it and lo and behold it has a 2 1/2 degree forward tilt. Must be an optical delusion. Not sure I'm going to change it.

I've been adjusting the TV cable and test driving. After a few adjustments it is shifting much better. The pics show the Lokar cable between the carbs. Been changing the bracket up and down, fore and aft. Also adjusting the cable pull and the amount of tension at idle, while making sure it is fully extended at full throttle. Sneaking up on it. The engine runs good so far. Got a bit of a choppy idle with the regrind cam and two carbs. This engine was build for my dragster so it isn't going to behave like a stocker.

Attachments

• pot 001.jpg
    pot 001.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 34
  • pot 002.jpg
    pot 002.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 33
Heart Transplant

This poor roadster pick up sat in the back garage for too long. It never worked out with the slant 6 engine. Wasn't very user friendly. So I decided to pull the slant 6 and put in a small block Chevy. Not as unique, but more driveable. By moving the engine forward I'll create more foot room and I won't get a cramp in my leg. The torqflite was too wide and sat too high, using up too much space. And I couldn't get it to shift right after hundreds of adjustments.
So, the disassembly has begun.

Attachments

• 20231009_093326.jpg
    20231009_093326.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 28
It's not as unique, but there's something about a SBC in a low-slung fenderless RPU that really hits the spot for me.

Even if in an old chevy in a previous life and rusted down to the ground on an old hill somewhere in Arkansas, it'll still run...:D[P

The slant 6 went down the road Monday. In its place is the Chevy and a Powerglide. Motor mounts and trans crossmember are in. Had to slightly relocate the Econoline steering box. I know it's ugly but it works good and it's free and was already there. When you build an underslung, some components end up being mounted in unusual places.

Trying to make as few mods as possible. Dragster driver Dave's son has a 327 that will rest between the frame rails. Using the Powerglide because I have it. I don't care if I can't beat a grandma in her Lexus SUV.

Attachments

• 20231015_101132.jpg
    20231015_101132.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 20231015_101153.jpg
    20231015_101153.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 20231015_101228.jpg
    20231015_101228.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 33
The last few days have been spent making a new trans cover. Making as few changes as possible and reusing as many parts as I can. Saved the wood floor and the driveshaft cover. The primitive shifter was in my garage attic for years. Fits the theme of this roadster.

Attachments

• 20231021_164156.jpg
    20231021_164156.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 20231021_164213.jpg
    20231021_164213.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 19

Latest posts

Back