Covid induced Ferguson TE20

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dozer. I hope you don't think I have a humongus pile of old five gallon pails thrown out beside the shop, so I can just keep grabbing some more pails and building more things, Oh, wait, I do.

Thanks Dozer. I hope you don't think I have a humongus pile of old five gallon pails thrown out beside the shop, so I can just keep grabbing some more pails and building more things, Oh, wait, I do.

Kinda figured you might have a few, but I think an old 30lb propane tank would work better.

hqdefault.jpg

I was masking the Ferguson motor today so I can sandblast, prime and paint it. That's when I noticed something I'd forgotten about, the crank nut was worn right out, [I'm not sure why], so I welded it up and ground it to shape.

Attachments

• IMG_2506.jpg
    IMG_2506.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_2507.jpg
    IMG_2507.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 21
Unfortunately, this whole tractor was not 'in the plan', so it wasn't planned. The inside of the motor was cleaned up before the sandblasting and not after, so I will be doing a little 'damage control' afterwards.
The guys that got this project going, are mechanics and fabricators, but they will not paint things. I am confident that I could take parts of a rusted, one hundred year old engine to them and within a month they would phone me to come and get my 'running motor', ---- but it would not be painted. Life is not always fair! :(

Remember when I was whining about sandblasting every nut and washer and bolt, well they're done, primed and painted. There are lots of little and mid-sized pieces that needed to be cleaned up and painted so I've been doing that. The picture shows some of the extras. The starter, generator and carburetor are also done.

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 22
There's a little more progress today, the motor is buttoned in there. As I started to bolt some goodies on the sides of the motor, I realized that some pieces were missing and therefore not painted and still ----- missing. I found them both eventually and got them cleaned up and primed.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2512.jpg
    IMG_2512.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 16
I keep finding out that I lost bolts when I took it apart. Quite a few of them are 7/16 fine and a weird length, so I don't have them lurking around the shop. I have to make bolts, then clean them up, prime and paint them. Slow going. Today I took the good looking voltage regulator apart just to check. Whew, it was all rusted and beyond repair. This would not be a problem if this tractor wasn't made in England and exported. It has a Lucas electrical system.
Anyhow, I got the front end on and some little extras.

Attachments

• IMG_2513.jpg
    IMG_2513.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2514.jpg
    IMG_2514.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 15
There was quite a bit of stepping back and forth today. The choke was really bad and had to be fixed. Then the throttle linkage wouldn't stay together, so I had to make a new ball and socket, well, just the socket, but around the ball. The front wheels went on pretty easily.

Attachments

• IMG_2515.jpg
    IMG_2515.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 18
looks great MM [cl

I`ve been through my Fordson like that a few yrs ago and the point you`re at now sure felt good . A/O torch and gallons of degreaser were my best friends... :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back