Craigslist flake, 400 wasted miles, Back just like I left

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

Made a little 400 mile round trip today to look at a 47 Ford Tudor sedan for the wife. Was planning on trading the 86 Vette if things worked out right. Borrowed a buddy's trailer, mine needs new tires, loaded up the Vette and hit the road. Had talked with the guy several times on the phone, older gent, sounded legit enough. Represented the car as unfinished, it was, but not what it should have been. Car had a fresh paint job, but bodywork, what there was of it, looked to have been done by a 5 year old! The top had rust pits so deep I bet the metal was as thick as aluminum foil in spots! I mean, who paints a car and doesn't fill the pits at least with bondo? [S Had a FE 352 supposedly, it cranked and ran good, but had a 3 speed tranny with a shifter that was about as precise as a rubber radio antenna, it wallowed everywhere, and on top of that, the linkage was on backwards so the shift pattern was reversed. It did have a 9" Ford rear, and from the looks of the under carriage, I'd say it was probably an old drag car, saw some brackets that looked like where a set of traction bars would have bolted.

The old guy talked a good game, but I wish he had of been a little more truthful on it. He didn't really lie, but he didn't tell the whole truth, either. I really think in his mind, it was a fine car. Price was right, so I guess I shouldn't have expected it to be better than it was, the pics make it look really nice. Look at the ad and see if it doesn't look like a pretty nice car. It's not. It would make a great rat rod with shiny paint the way it is, but it's not nearly as nice as it looks like it is, it's way more work than we want for her a car. I mean, running and driving, maybe finish the paint and interior at most.

So, 400 miles, a tired butt, and we're home again. Back to looking......

http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/4890602902.html

Yep for me the car would have had to be very good for that money.
At least your wife is willing to get an old car. :cool:

eMan, she loves the old stuff as much as I do, it just has to be done her way. Good paint, nice interior, good engine, dependable. She has fell in love with the Tudor body style. The Vette is a great car, but the limited seating has made us grown tired of it. Great for me and her, not so when we have the grand son.

Got a line on a 41 coupe we may go look at. She's not big on the grills on the 41, but I think she's coming around to it. Maybe next week we can get out and go look at it..............

I"ve done the same kind of thing before. Win some . lose some. All part of the game. I hate it when its a good deal.+ somebody got there 10 min.s before I did ,and they buy it.

Some of the best car hunting trips my dad and I have gone on have resulted in returning with an empty trailer. Sometimes the stuff you don't buy is a huge blessing. You'll find a good one, just be patient :)

The wheels, seats and stance would have been a huge red flag that the guy didn't judge what's "right" like I would. Cars ALWAYS look better in the pictures. Too bad for the dry run, been there, done that. Just this week as a matter of fact.

Yeah WB, mine was about like yours, much worse than pictured. We're not in any hurry, the right one will pop up. I sent a couple of emails about a 41 Ford coupe and a 41 Chevy coupe tonight, hope to hear back from those this week. Both are within 100 miles of me. We have a good car now, she just wants a change, so I'm trying to make her happy.:D

41 Ford is a wash, he want's too much for it. He'll figure it out eventually, it's been on CL two months now already.

She didn't care too much for it anyway, she likes the Tudor sedans better......

41.jpg

Royston Ga. Hmm just looked on google Royston is a far piece from you Bama

Actually depending on what still needs to be done, that's a pretty good price. We're looking for something drivable that is a close trade to the Vette. I don't want to build one totally right now, just smaller things to fix. Thought about it, Royston is close to the SC line over in GA, probably over 300 miles from me. Way way to far for another dry run.....:D

What do these people have against bumpers? It makes me think they threw away anything that was not vital or in rough condition. I don't think I'd risk the 300 mile drive on that one either, the wheels and flames kind of smack of hillbilly hayride.

Yeah, my time is just too limited to be driving 400-600 miles in one day for a wild goose chase. Looking in the $8000-$10000 range, about the same value of the Vette. I don't mind finishing one, just don't want to build this one from the ground up, found several that would fit the bill for a build. She wants it ready to go with a little finishing.

The 41 Chevy is gone, too, so still looking.

Latest posts

Back