Craigslist flake, 400 wasted miles, Back just like I left

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More flakes out there!
Emailed a guy over in GA about a 41 Mercury. Car needs paint, but looks decent from the crappy cell phone pics he had posted. Wanted to see if he might be interested in some trading, his ad was worded as to that effect. He wanted to know what I thought my Vette was worth, so I sent back a figure squarely in the middle of NADA's pricing guide, which is a little high, but not outrageous. Figured I had left myself some dealing room. This nutcase comes unglued, claims he can buy Vettes all day long at 1/2 of my figures, my car is pos, yada yada yada. I sent him the NADA link so he could see for himself, telling him that was a ballpark figure, it wasn't set in stone, I would deal. Again, more smartass comments returned. I had been nice, but the last email sent me over the edge, so I stooped to his level, and told him what a idiot he was.[ddd

I just don't understand folks anymore. I was trying to get some kind of negotiation started before I wasted a 250 mile trip, and this lowlife only wanted to lowball and downgrade me and my car. If he wasn't interested,all he had to do was say so, I would say thanks and move on, have done that several times now. Instead he wanted to show his ass, and forced me to do the same. How the heck can you expect to do business when you run your potential customers off? [S It's getting to where you can't deal with anybody anymore........ [S

Last fall we went 120mi to look at a '65 MG Miget for my wife. CL ad had pics, good description, and we talked to the guy a couple times on the phone even. "Ready for the road. Drive it anywhere!" 2/3 of the way there, we call to verify time and he asks how big our trailer is - didn't bring one, if we buy it I plan to drive it home. "I guess you could, but I don't think it goes over 45mph." WTF!! :confused: The guy had traded it for rebuilding a cycle motor and only drove it around the block once.

(Turns out the tach and speedo are both off so it would do 55 easy enough. Bought it and drove it home. There were some other issues along the way though!)

Ya gotta love the a guy that puts up crappy pictures, no price, and then wants you to waste a day and $100 to let you know he is an idiot.

This is pretty much, word for word, a conversation I had with a guy once:

"Hey I'm calling about the car you have for sale on CL."
"Aw, yeah... I've still got it, come and look at it if ya want."
(We discuss the car a little.)
"You're ad doesn't have a price, so what are you asking for it?"
"Well, what do ya wanna pay for it?"
"Hey man, I'm not selling it, you are. And it's kinda hard to tell what it's worth from an ad and two blurry pictures."
"Well come and look at it then."
"OK. Listen... I live 70 miles away and I'm not interested in wasting half a day and gas to find out the price is more than I have in my bank account."
"Well, how much do you have in your bank account?"
"What? ... Alright, I'm about done here. I'll give you around ten seconds to name a price."
"I don't know.... you really ought to come and blah blah blah... "
"Five seconds."
"blah...blah... blah..."
CLICK

About an hour later he texted me a price. 2 years later the ad still pops up on CL.

My Son Don has a dealers license and buys low mileage, clean cars to flip. He was just telling me he went to look at two cars, and when he asked the guys on the phone if there was any rust, they said no. When he got there they both had rust so bad there were holes in the car !

He even goes out of his way to ask "IS THERE ANY RUST !" and they always say no. He said to the last guy, "I thought you said there was no rust" and the guy said " I guess everyone looks at cars differently !" :confused:

Why don't people just tell you the truth, it isn't like you aren't going to find the flaws when you spend all the time to go there ?

Don

I think we should have a whole new section for these storys. I could write a book.
One pretty funny one involved looking at a 71 F100. As the old guy is yadda yadda yadda about how rare it is, I reach over and spin the ac compressor (no belt). He says "and that ac works good too". Then I look inside and the underdash a/c is removed and laying in the front seat. I just chuckled to myself.

I think c-list is a big buyer beware. Around here it's about 90% idiots who think the internet is a magic money machine to make their crappy clapped out junk bring Barrett-Jackson price.

donsrods maybe these people are very lonely , and this is the only way they get a chance to talk to some body ... because every one they know wont have nuttin to do with them :D

Latest posts

Back