I couldn't believe my eyes.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
I started to put a new coil on my wifes 48 Chev she got for Christmas. Noticed the heater hoses looked bad so time to change em. As you know the heater is under the seat so a trip down under is required.

Jacked up, put on my safety goggles to keep the rust and dirt out of the ol' orbs and crawled under. Something was wrong, there was no dirt and rust raining down on me..was it dream? I looked around and what did I see..It had generous amount of undercoating, no dirt, no rust:eek:

This car has 63K original miles, I had known the owner and his family for quite a while so I knew it to be true. But undercoating?? I have been under alot of old cars and don't think I have ever seen one this old and original with undercoating...even the hood. I like to find pleasant surprises.:) Oh by the way it used 20ft of heater hose.

its a A/C thing here in florida....no heat required:D....damm its hott today

Yes, it is hot here. That's why I'm not heading to the shop until about 5 PM.

As for the undercoating thing, I had a '47 Ford fordor that I should have never sold. Anyway, it only had 50,000 miles on it, and when I rolled under it for the first time it was undercoated everywhere, and clean as a whistle. I was just as surprised as you to find they had undercoating back then.

I knew a guy who had a '53 Ford, and everytime he would change the oil he would squirt the old oil everywhere under the body, coating the frame, floor, etc. It was greasy as h***, but had zero rust, and in Pennsylvania with the salt, that is saying something.

Don

My first car was a 54' Buick that was sitting abandoned in a yard. Had 144K miles. Paid $50, took a battery over and it started. Drove it home with metal to metal on the brakes and cord showing on the tires. Even though the car was stored outside with weeds growing underneath it, there was zero rust. No dents, pristine chrome and the interior was immaculate. Black roof rubbed OK, red body was too oxidized.

Know what you mean about those under seat heaters, miles of heater hose. What a pain!!! I got my Buick cuz it was cheap and I was only 15. I thought it was the ugliest thing on the road. Even had working spot lights. Radio worked too. Now I wish I still had it. It would make a great custom.

Guess I'll go out to the garage now, it's 2:00 PM, 78 degrees with a breeze blowing from the beach,,,,:D

Latest posts

Back