1933 chevy tudor sedan aka Project Copper Tone!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's unique I must say....

I'd guess I'd not want to lean against it when hot..:eek:...lol...but don't see why it wouldn't work ...looks really high off the water outlet...does it need to be that high? Or will there be interference with the fan or pulley's...? Just curious....

Will the pipe being higher than the rad tank cause an air lock issue? Maybe a petcock needed at the highest point to bleed off air.... Do the BB Fords usually have that right angle thermostat housing ? Or are there other ones with less angle so you can get the pipe lower.

ZZ is correct, Without a way to release the trapped air you won't be able to "burp" the cooling system, and it will constantly overheat. There needs to be at least a slight decline from radiator to water neck - If not there must be a way to bleed the system...

That's what I was thinking. I searched for a different thermostat housing but couldn't find one that was either straight or came out at a better angle but couldn't. If all else fails I could grab my old one that's not chrome plated, weld a piece of pipe to it and do it that way. I'll have to see how it goes.

Got my tubing bender put together finally. Makes very nice bends and almost no dimples except for when I did my lower coolant pipe and went a little too far with the bend but it'll work. Next up is my exhaust and then I'm gonna redo my front and rear suspension. Anyhow, here's a couple of pictures. Didn't snap one of the coolant pipe but I'll get around to it eventually.

Last edited:
Started building my passenger side exhaust today. I'd have to say that it's coming out a lot better than my first go round. Decided to use a drive shaft I had lying around for the primary tube. I think that it gives it a bit of that heavy duty look that I've been going for. Gonna need to get another for the drivers side but heck, it's better than the more common kits I see all the time. Here's a few pics.

Ya probably don't want to but a radiator petcock, in the top of the copper tube, would let you bleed the air out.

images.ashx

29FD9057-ABCA-4819-9190-B974FB6BCE82_zpse0hkou0s.jpg

Yeah, I figured with it being higher than the rad and engine it wouldn't work to well and seeing as I didn't want to put a petcock in it to bleed the air, I should redo it. Need to find a straight thermostat housing that'll work with an fe and then I'll use one of the spare pieces of copper pipe I have and pick up another 45 so that I can get it done. A bit of a side note, built some bar stools a while back for my kitchen.

Some actual progress to report. Got my front suspension rebuilt and I really like the outcome. Had to use a "few" leaves from another spring and add to the spring pack to get it up a tad higher. Next up is to rebuild the rear suspension and hopefully move onto the drivers side exhaust. Here's a few pics of the new front.

Modifying my rear end. The plan is to have the springs mount to the upper rod and the axle will sit between them. This will raise the car off the ground a bit more and keep the axle in the center of the wheel wells without modifying the upper perch. Got a ford 8 inch with 2.72 gears to replace the 9. Just need to rebuild the brakes and weld my brackets to it.

So this past weekend(Monday and Tuesday for the rest of y'all) I spent out in the garage. Finished up my rear end, made my shock brackets, rebuilt the drag link to the pitman arm, and had planned on changing out the front u-joint. Unfortunately the joint was the only thing not accomplished. When I was putting my rear end in I looked forward and could see my needle bearings show. I figured no biggie, just needed a joint. Pulled the drive shaft out and low n behold, the yoke was too wide. Went to the parts store with the yoke and tried about 20 different u-joints and none fit so now I'm on the search for a different yoke. Tried the 4 I have lying around(one off the old 9 inch, one off a Dana 44, and the ones from the 4x4 setup. No luck.) sometimes the simple things turn into a nightmare. Sorta like getting brand new bad wheel cylinders, that happened also. Anyhow, a few pics.

Cars looking good [cl
I've had days when that little fix took all day and then some.
Those rear springs look rather large, your not running shine are you[S
Nice fab work your doing there [;)
Keep at it.

Latest posts

Back