No other like it.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The details are coming together nicely. If I only had 2 or 3 miles to go to see it I'd be there in 2 or 3 minutes.

Might be spending part of winter out your way next year.

Hows the steering and suspension feel?
I think it'll be fine once I put some shocks on the back, and fix the dragging brakes. It was almost rolling straight down the road, but with both front brakes dragging, and with that right front brake dragging real bad, it pulls a bit to the right. The driver side upper ball joint is real bad too.
The rear is a little bouncy, as I figured it would be. The shocks will come in the mail next week, and hopefully I'll have them mounted next weekend for another test drive.
The steering is light, and taking corners with one hand is easy with the knob.

The details are coming together nicely. If I only had 2 or 3 miles to go to see it I'd be there in 2 or 3 minutes.

Might be spending part of winter out your way next year.
It would be good to see you! I've been considering a road trip to see some of the rods from RRR. Of course it can't happen until I get finished. It sounds like a good vacation to me.

I did a bit of that when I went to Boneville a couple years ago. saw 3 out of the 6 people I was trying to meet. Schedules are hell these days but I would recomend it in a second! Some truely good people on the RRR...[cl

Lights Earthman? What he's looking for is something like this.

p50.jpg

That coolant looks... ahhh cool?

Lights! Well, soon…

I finally got after the light buckets. I couldn't find anything the right size, so I decided to go with an air tank that I got for $20. I cut the handle and feet off:

I went after it with an 80 grit flapper wheel, and turned my bench, and everything else blue. This took about 90 minutes.

I measured, made some marks, made some cuts, and bam, 10 inch headlight buckets.

I'm thinking they'll go near this position, but a little higher:

Now if I can find a smaller tank for the tail lights, I'll be set.
Oh yeah, it was powder coating. Paint stripper didn't work.

There are two or three different sized diameter propane torch bottles that may work for tail lights...headlight buckets look good!

See Earthman, I told you he wanted searchlights.

Actually, 8 liter I think you're on the solution. They look proportional. Do you have a plan for the lens and reflectors?

My first thought is that you might be able to find the correct sized magnifying makeup mirrors at Walsomething for the reflectors. Mount the bulbs in front of them.

There are two or three different sized diameter propane torch bottles that may work for tail lights...headlight buckets look good!

Thanks! I have some cool lenses for the taillights, but need buckets to fit. They're 7.5 inches across.

See Earthman, I told you he wanted searchlights.

Actually, 8 liter I think you're on the solution. They look proportional. Do you have a plan for the lens and reflectors?

My first thought is that you might be able to find the correct sized magnifying makeup mirrors at Walsomething for the reflectors. Mount the bulbs in front of them.

On the front, I now have buckets, but need lenses to fit. I was planning on using sealed beam assemblies inside, and flat glass on the front. I have a sheet of security glass with the crosshatch wires in it.
But, since you asked, I was going to show you why I didn't just buy lenses. They just cost so darn much: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291239135417?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
(and one of those is chipped)

So as I was looking around on eBay for lenses, like I've done so many times in the last 6 months, I found these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/General-Mot...%2BpNExnJj30Fphd%2FYQ%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Oh look, they're already sold. Probably some clown is going to retrofit them onto a rat rod made of poo pipe!

So, I'm still planning on using the sealed beam style of adjusters inside, with the H4 bulbs. LED replacements just cost too much, and I need a way to adjust the beam.
I just hope the beam doesn't get too messed up with going through 2 lenses. I think those H4 light reflectors can be separated from the lens. That might be the thing to do. I like the mirror idea for the rears. I was wondering how I was going to make them bright.

The best I've found so far is this: http://www.socalautoparts.com/produ...ht-kit-bug-amp-super-beetle-55w-bulbs-p-14371
Anybody know of a better source?

All you need for headlights should be an easy junk yard find. Just fab some mounting brackets to center them inside the buckets. If you want to get really crazy, you could make rings that fill the extra space (think gen one Chrysler Cordoba), or put full plexiglass covers over the front. Or both...

All you need for headlights should be an easy junk yard find. Just fab some mounting brackets to center them inside the buckets.
I was originally thinking just that. The only you-pull-it junkyard that was close enough to be accessible, closed down a while back. That, and I priced tail lights for a friend a while back, and they wanted $20 for each one I think. Add the entry fee, and light bulbs, reflectors, pigtails, and it's getting to be near the price of new. I'm not sure though. I might just try to get to a yard and do some looking around. Maybe I can get the housings and bulbs/pigtails for nearly nothing, and come out way ahead.

It just seems like somebody would have a kit with adjusters and bulbs, ready to go. Maybe I should market that.

A couple years ago I bought some seal beam holders that were designed to fit into early headlight buckets. It still left me with the old fashion way of adjusting the headlights. That is pointing the entire unit in the right direction.

The ones in the pic you posted look very much like 67 and up VW (bug, bus, type III) parts to me. Might find them on CL pretty cheap. They have the built i adjusters and all.
\Maybe it wasn't you that posted the pic. I can't find it now...
I was originally thinking just that. The only you-pull-it junkyard that was close enough to be accessible, closed down a while back. That, and I priced tail lights for a friend a while back, and they wanted $20 for each one I think. Add the entry fee, and light bulbs, reflectors, pigtails, and it's getting to be near the price of new. I'm not sure though. I might just try to get to a yard and do some looking around. Maybe I can get the housings and bulbs/pigtails for nearly nothing, and come out way ahead.

It just seems like somebody would have a kit with adjusters and bulbs, ready to go. Maybe I should market that.

x prohibited[?] Posted: 6 days ago
◀ prev next ▶ 1972-1986 Jeep CJ Headlight Assembly Pair w/bulbs-New - $185 (NNE Phoenix)

00505_3jBPgf4Bi7P_600x450.jpg

condition: new

I have a new pair of factory headlight assemblies with bulbs that fit 1972-1986 Jeep CJ models for $185.00 ($199.37 w/tax).
I also have the parking lights ($26ea) and side marker lights ($5.00ea) also available. Thank you.

Grand Canyon 4x4
480-788-2835

Para assistencia en Espanol mande mensage por E-mail.
Shipping avaliable for additional charge

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
post id: 4810660159
posted: 6 days ago
email to friend
♥ best of [?]

Avoid scams, deal locally Beware wiring (e.g. Western Union), cashier checks, money orders, shipping.

I'm just speechless about that one.
Yup. That's nuts.

I just picked up (stole) a nice set of 1926 Dodge headlights for $25.00. Of course, they would need to be converted to seal beams for anyone that wanted to use them on anything other than an original restoration. They are big as dinner plates! The buckets look like cooking pots. Not all that rat rod looking. IMHO...

Latest posts

Back