I'm gonna build an altered.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha, I kinda wonder about those trap speeds too. My desktop calculator says I should be able to run about 130 in the quarter, and that is kinda fast with a short 100 inch wheelbase. I know when I ran my 27 I was only turning 100 in the 1/8 mile, and that felt like 300. :eek:

Don

If I remember correctly, I think he was running about 150 on he big end. ....with a motor that would have pushed a Camaro mid-12's.

Today was the day to pick up my new body and Richard from Suncoast came through. We met them at the Bradenton Drag Strip and took possession. He promised me two weeks ago they would have it done and they did, and it really looks good. Typical glass body that will need normal finishing to prep it for paint, but otherwise, no problems at all. I am very pleased with the results.

Dan and I dropped it off at our shop but I forgot my camera, so when I go back there tonight I will shoot some pictures and post them. I won't really be doing much until after Turkey Run because I don't know what parts I will find there to buy, but I might start mocking up the frame out of 2 x 4 lumber to get an ideal of wheelbase and width, but that will be about all the progress until after Thanksgiving.

But I feel getting the body is a big piece of the puzzle and it will allow me to move ahead now to the next step. Once I get the frame built I am going to contact Ron at RPM for my front axle, hairpins, and stuff like that.

Don

Small world, my brotehr in law has a 63 Vette that came from Suncoast. Right nex door to them is a trike shop that we make quite a few parts for.
CraigsVette.jpg

I like the idea Don! Here is the one I help a good friend of mine build. He drives it on the street but hasn't made it to the track.

RPM I will be in the market for at least 1 if not 2 axles in the next couple of months. Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• foly aafa.jpg
    foly aafa.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 54
I mentioned that I was going to glass in the firewall, so today I picked up a 1/2 inch thick 2 x 4 foot piece of oak plywood and cut it to size. It made a world of difference in the alignment and strength of the body. When I screwed it down I could see the body starting to pull into shape, and it will be much less prone to cracking than if I just screwed an aluminum firewall to the little lip around the perimeter of the cowl. I can now pick up the body and it doesn't twist like a wet noodle.

The screws are just temporary, my plan is to remove the plywood and put a bead of West System Six 10 epoxy around the lip and then screw the wood back in place. Once that sets up it will make the wood and the body one strong piece, then I can put a layer of fiberglass mat on both sides of the plywood to seal it and to tie it into the body better.

Finally, I will cut a piece of either aluminum or stainless sheet to cover up the fiberglass and to give the firewall that all steel look. Here are a couple of pictures from tonight, the screws are just temporary till the glass sets up, and will be replaced with polished stainless button head bolts. Now I can order a stick of 2 x 3 x 1/8 tubing and start making the frame.

Don

Hey Don, what's their purpose for not including a firewall?

I don't know why, but every Bantam kit out there is done exactly like this one, a totally open firewall. Most people just put an aluminum one over the opening and that works, but I tend to over build everything.

It could be what Flipper said, they need to be steel so they just leave it out of the glass bodies and let you fill it in. But it sure was weak with that open like that, so the little bit of weight I added is going to go a long way toward stiffening it and keeping cracks from happening.

Don

IIRC, the firewall can be steel or aluminum, just have to meet thickness standards.

Watching this one closely. Have been kicking around a 27 T based car for a while, might just have to go the Bantam route.

Hehe, Nanook had to be one heck of a ride ! Same with the Winged Express, very scarey cars, but they sure put on a show.

I don't think I will be in the same league . :eek::eek::eek:

Don

Latest posts

Back