need help finding wheel cylinders

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcdanl

ok so my wheel cylinders are leaking in the front. I have not idea what the front end of the car came out of originally or what the brakes came off of or anything. all i know is that the brakes are ford. and the brand is bendix. and on the wheel cylinder there is a number that reads 617766-L for the one on the left (driver) side and 617767-R for the right (passenger) side. and on the back of the brakes where the shoes clip on there is a number that reads 307176. i have been to 3 different auto part stores, ordered two different parts and they have both been the wrong part. The bolt holes aren't the same. somebody please help me. i want to drive my car for the first time and all i need is these wheel cylinders!! its driving me crazy. here is a picture of the wheel cylinder and also the back of the drum. and the front.... just because.
DSCN1215.jpg

DSCN1207.jpg

DSCN1208.jpg

Wheel cylinders

You really need to find out what rear end you have first.You may have to do some searching and sanding or grinding on the axle tubes to get the ID code off of it.They do look like Ford ones because I am doing my 9 inch right now and they look close,BUT you need to get that info on the rear end first.

Most vintage rods use 1937-1948 Ford front brakes... But yours look different, typically the hub would be part of the drum... Your seperate hub/drum setup might be a 1940-1942...

Try these guys, they know their stuff and have a great inventory of authentic used parts (not the new after market stuff that most shops carry)

Early Ford Store
www.earlyfordstore.com
108 W. Bonita Avenue
San Dimas, CA 91773
(909) 305-1955

I'm not sure what those brakes are but they are not 42-48 Ford, at least the backing plates are not. They don't like like early F-1 barkes either. The welded in place upper pivot stud has me stumped. I'm trying to find a match.

The backing plate looks like F-1 or newer ford plates. But the spindle looks more like chevy were the plate bolts to it.

The ford spindles from 37-41 had a round flange where the plate bolted to and the 42-48 had a square flange. The chevy spindles had four small flanges that stuck off the spindle. If you measure from the upper flange bolt to the lower flange bolt and you have 3 11/16 it is chavy car, if its 4 5/16 it is chevy truck.

The brakes were they self adjusters and do you have any pictures of all the parts for the brakes?

What sizes shoes are they?

yeah its 307176
i still haven't found the replacement part for these but i did find a rebuild kit that worked. so i went ahead and bought that and now the brakes work great. but.. i still dont know what my front end is from. i will find out the info from what you guys are asking and post it when i find out.

Everytime I read this thread I see the painted nut and washer which would indicate you are running without the dust caps. You really should have the dust caps on to protect the bearing and keep the grease in, bearing failure is sure to come quickly without them.

Latest posts

Back