Out of the Ordinary Frame Paint/Coating

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am doing a 64 Ford F-100 SWB Slick in a Retro Style and I am looking for any/all out of the ordinary frame and associated parts paint/coating ideas. I do not want to go with the usual blacks (flat, semi, or gloss) but am thinking something much like the way a used frame looks - rusty/patina. I do not want it totally natural because I want to preserve the metal and related parts I am fabricating for longevity after I blast it smooth and get it structurally correct for my build. I have thought of just allowing it to patina over and then spray it with a satin clear coat protective finish while retaining the natural look I am wanting? Thoughts/experiences are definitely appreciated. Thanks! [S

What Earthman said,sounds good. I dont think clear sticks to metal very well. Maybe spray it with epoxy primer,or what-ever,for protection,then spray a few different colors on it in layers and lightly water-sand thru the layers for a [old] look. Just dont rub thru your 1st coat.

My late father had a saying
" Rust Never Sleeps"
If you clear over it.The rust still eats the metal.
You either have to blast it off,or just paint over it and not worry about it
I usually just paint over it:D
Anyway,that was my 2 cents worth.
Sounds like cool project

Yep, if you don't completely get rid of the rust and properly prime and paint it (or powder coat it) you are only prolonging the agony........rust will come back and bite you.

When I lived up North, we had a hard time getting our cars to pass inspection because even thick frames would be rusted through in places.

Don

or see if you can get your hands on some of that grey or green paint the DOT contractors use on bridges

Interesting finish I have used a few times is Hammerite. Hammer finish paint. I think it is from the UK, not sure, but Rustoleum or some US company will have similar stuff. it gives a finish that looks like you've gone over it with a ball pein hammer, but it is smooth and fairly shiny.

You've probably already seen it on some industrial appliances.

hammerite%20hammered%20finish.png

Latest posts

Back