It's the little things

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellwood59

Hotrodders(more so in cold climates) remember the little things count.

Don't forget the gearlube in the pumpkin, the cotter pin in the castle-nut and most important of all the anti-freeze in the radiator.
Yes, as you can guess, I forgot the last one. After months of getting my '59 Apache in shape for fun, everything new from front to back, one week before
the Pittsburgh version of The World of Wheels car show, it happened. The temps fell near zero for weeks, the heat in the garage is not constant and the idiot running the show(yes, me) left the anti-freeze on the shelf.
It was Sunday when I found the puddle in the garage & the "T" shaped crack in the block. Time to find some parts & get back at it.:mad:

Just remember; don't forget the little things.

I hate being a 50 year old rookie, I'm still learning the hard way:D

Attachments

• 1959 Apache Rig.jpg
    1959 Apache Rig.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 72
  • WAAAAAAAAA.jpg
    WAAAAAAAAA.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 58
The TWO times I did that I got away with it. The first time only the radiator froze up (cold + high winds). The second time I was getting rid of the truck anyhow - popped the freeze plugs but the block was OK.

Sorry to hear of your loss. :(

S&S, the show is next week,01/22/2010, come on down! Sadly I need to trailer:( her to the show. Our club has a "theme" that involves a couple
trashy campers. Come on down & check it out, should be fun.I'll get pics.

Don, Already found a 4bolt short block, we'll git-er-done right after the show.
I've got a ho-lotta goodies in mine, just needed the good block.

we've got some pics. & vids. of past shows on our site

www.DriftersCC.com

sorry to hear that about the freezing.......we've all had moments of forgetfulness......glad to hear you've already found a replacement block--maybe you can post up an engine build thread......and bring us some pics from that show...:D[cl

Sad times for you . Make it positive , build it back stronger and faster . Have a great time at the show , and remember we learn from our mistakes , I know you won't forget this one !

Forgot antifreeze once in a Mustang, only the radiator froze! I guess sometimes we have someone watching over us knobheads...:D....CR

Preacher, I'll get some pics. from the show but, as far as the build thread, the uhhh AD uhhh Disorder uhhhhh. Well I can't pay attention that much.:D

After further review, the call on the field was overturned!:(

the block is cracked on BOTH sides[cl

Oh well , live & learn. I sure am glad stupid doesn't hurt;)

Sorry to hear about that, I feel your pain. I did that once. It was a 71 Pontiac T/A I got it running really late the night before the local car show (parts stores closed so no antifreeze), it was all new from top to bottom. I drove it car show weekend then parked it back in the garage. A couple cold weeks went by and it started to warm up so I thought I would take it out for a spin and had a nice surprise a big puddle of water under the car!! I about cried, so I got mad and sold it! LOL But I haven't forgotten the antifreeze since!!

This is the middle of a transplant..............stay tuned![P

Attachments

• heart NO 2.jpg
    heart NO 2.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Heart NO 2..jpg
    Heart NO 2..jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 20
Antifreeze? what's that for?

Oh yeah, it keeps the radiator from boiling over when it hits 118.

Cheers from AZ

it's what us folks that dont live where kids and old folks will die without A/C use.;)
i hate hot weather......

I sure could do without feet of snow & sub-zero temps. but , my forefathers were too F'N lazy to keep moving west:mad:

I'm almost ready to move to AZ for a permanent sunburn[ddd and be closer to our kids in Denver.

Hey Billy, I sure do like your "neck of the woods". We stayed in the KOA there last year during a trip on our HD. Our kids came down from Denver to meet us & ride the Durango&Silverton. That is beautiful country.:D

Hey Billy, I sure do like your "neck of the woods". We stayed in the KOA there last year during a trip on our HD. Our kids came down from Denver to meet us & ride the Durango&Silverton. That is beautiful country.:D

yes
it is real pretty.
i have had friends from other parts of the country come visit and they are shocked by the beauty.
i am used to looking at it so i kinda forget.

Latest posts

Back