Power window motor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Dude

When reading the post about the feller needing the teeth welded up on his window regulator, it just reminded me of something I did. I think this may work in some of the rats being built. I put power windows in my 56 Chevy. I got some Ford power window assys and set it up on my bench to compare the two. I ended up taking the ford motor off and replacing the manual crank of the 56. The Chevy had coarse teeth and the Ford power unit had fine teeth. I just cut the teeth off both and swaped them. I brazed the fine teeth onto the coarse regulator. bolted the power unit in and hooked up some wires to a rocker switch. It worked great. The reason I went with a Ford unit was because they were flat apposed to the round GM ones. I don't see any reason why this can't be done on some earlier cars.

When reading the post about the feller needing the teeth welded up on his window regulator, it just reminded me of something I did. I think this may work in some of the rats being built. I put power windows in my 56 Chevy. I got some Ford power window assys and set it up on my bench to compare the two. I ended up taking the ford motor off and replacing the manual crank of the 56. The Chevy had coarse teeth and the Ford power unit had fine teeth. I just cut the teeth off both and swaped them. I brazed the fine teeth onto the coarse regulator. bolted the power unit in and hooked up some wires to a rocker switch. It worked great. The reason I went with a Ford unit was because they were flat apposed to the round GM ones. I don't see any reason why this can't be done on some earlier cars.

Do you have any pictures of the motors mounted ?[;)[P:cool:

Sorry, no pics. If this old brain remembers right, I just removed the crank with the gear portion and bolted the Ford unit on the other side of the regulator. The reason I had to use the Ford unit was because it was the only one that would fit between the regulator and window glass.

When I have put in power windows, I just cut the arm off the old unit and weld it to the power unit that way all the guides fit the glass and mount the motor so the arm pivot is the same.

The reason I was asking is because I plan to convert my truck windows to power this summer.I have 2 power units from a 1989 Mustang and 4 power units from a 1990 Caprice Classic.I can always figure things out better with pictures.[P[;):cool:

Are the Ford units sort of flat or narrow? Are the GM ones round? The Ford ones I used gave me the clearance I needed. I want to put power windows in my 31. I have to take everything apart and see what's what. I like using the original crank mechanism and track arms.

Are the Ford units sort of flat or narrow? Are the GM ones round? The Ford ones I used gave me the clearance I needed. I want to put power windows in my 31. I have to take everything apart and see what's what. I like using the original crank mechanism and track arms.

I no idea what either of them looks like,I have been draggin my feet on pulling them because of the crappy weather we had. It is starting to warm up a bit now so I should get a little bit done here shortly.[P[;):cool:

Latest posts

Back