reversing spring eyes at home

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cornfield customs

i had a Model t spring but needed to reverse the eyes to drop it down a little bit. so here is how i did it, not really hard just takes a while. it took me a little over and hour

first you have to undo the spring pack, best way to do this is take a c clamp and place the clamp next to the alignment bolt an tighten it down, then remove the nut, bolt and spring clamps. then you can slowly remove the c clamp. this way it doesnt pop apart and and take any by standers out. then take the lower spring with the eyelets and lay it on somewhat smooth and flat part of a concrete floor. take chalk, soap stone, or a marker and trace the shape of the spring onto the floor, its hard to see but look close and you can see the outline
001-27.jpg

then take the spring and measure off 1 inch increments on the spring. then place the spring in a shop press and start in the center flattening out the spring on your marks. here is a pic of one side started laying next to the out line.
002-24.jpg

003-21.jpg

keep working the spring until it is pretty flat
004-20.jpg

now you can begin to reshape the spring back wards, which will reverse the eyes. take it slow and dont over bend the spring or it will just make more work. go back to the outline on the floor often to see where you need to bend
005-17.jpg

once you get the spring to the shape of the out line you can reassemble the spring pack, just reverse the process of taking it apart
006-18.jpg

and there you have it, a little elbow grease and you have a cheap reversed eye spring. this is how it used to be done by many hot rodders and still works great.

So the main leaf on the springs is not tempered then, I thought they are all tempered and you would not be able to bend them.

They are, but you can stil bend them. We did it pretty much as Cornfield shows, except we marked lines on the leaf every inch and put the exact same number of pumps on the handle of the press on each line. That way we got a totally uniform reshape on the spring.

Good thread, thanks for posting it.

Don

One way to temper springs is use a junk aluminum block and a big hammer. take your time and work from the center. This tends to rearch the spring.:D

reversing spring eyes

Good artical in march 2011 Rod and Custom. Sugest you read, very good info.

Latest posts

Back