Repairing caved in doors.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willyD

So a friend of a friend with a lot of experience in body work and chops came over a gave me pointers on my 36 Ford cab. I should share the one that saved the day on my door.

First, I have my cab on a cart with casters so this technique only works for this setup. Also, I cut a section out of the inner door sheet metal to access the inside of the caved in area.

I put a piece of plywood up against the wall in my garage to protect the sheetrock. I then took a long 2x4 and rounded off the corners of one end. I opened the opposite door, ran the 2x4 through the cab sitting on some roller stands (having a buddy help would work better maybe, depending on the buddy), and kept the caved in door closed. The flat end of the 2x4 goes against the wall and the rounded off end is used against the door sheet metal. With the cab on casters, I could then push the whole cab against that 2x4 and even ram it a bit when and where needed. I just reached through the window and positioned the 2x4 while pushing with a leg and my other hand. Once it was pretty much pushed out, I took another short piece of rounded off 2x4 and a big hammer to pound out other spots. Then it was down to hammer and dolly work.

The key trick was the long 2x4 against the wall and keeping the door closed and latched.

photo%2B1%2B%252812%2529.JPG

photo%2B3%2B%252812%2529.JPG

photo%2B4%2B%252810%2529.JPG

photo%2B3%2B%252814%2529.JPG

photo%2B4%2B%252812%2529.JPG

I've done something like that with wood and a bfh. I think I used a fence post to reshape a really flattened 36 Chevy panel truck rear fender once.
I always keep all my broken shovel, hammer, pick handles and have several hardwood drifts made from those.
Never though of using a long 2x4 and going to the wall.

Latest posts

Back