New toy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamamav

A buddy called me yesterday and told me he had something I had been looking for for a long time. I couldn't think what it might be, then he told me---a manual tire machine. He had two, one he had bought for himself, the other he had sold to his step son, and bought back. Wanted to know if I wanted one of them........why heck yeah!:D Rode up to his house this morning and bought the first one he had bought for himself. He had taken the bead breaker arm and cylinder off to clean and paint them and hadn't put them back together or painted them. So that will be my job now before I can use it. I think it's a Coats model 10, but all ID is long gone from it. This will have a permanent place in my shop somewhere. Here's a couple of pics he sent me, one when he first got it, the other after he had taken the bead breaker off.

Attachments

• tire machine.jpg
    tire machine.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 65
  • tire machine 2.jpg
    tire machine 2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 45
Nice. Phumatic breaker, yes? [S
I pick one up on amazon, all manual. Don't need them often but great when you do.

Attachments

• 20200215_090259.jpg
    20200215_090259.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 23
From a little web research, looks like its a Coats Model 3, late 50's to early 60's time frame. Models 1 & 2 didn't have the air powered bead breaker. Looked at the cylinder on mine yesterday, the O ring is still soft, the cylinder looks like a good cleaning and maybe a light honing and it should still work good . Gonna wire brush clean it and I found a couple of pint cans of Rustolem red I'm gonna brush on it to protect it from the weather. Not going full resto on it, will still have it's bumps, bruises, and pits. After all, I bought it to use, not look at! :rolleyes:

Wouldn't take long to pay for itself here @ $40. For one change over

Not quite that bad here, but have paid as much as $20 a time or two. It will pay for itself as long as I can use it. Might even do some outside work, seems like my driveway has a magnet in it that draws every flat tire and blown up motor for miles.[S:rolleyes:

A buddy called me yesterday and told me he had something I had been looking for for a long time. I couldn't think what it might be, then he told me---a manual tire machine. He had two, one he had bought for himself, the other he had sold to his step son, and bought back. Wanted to know if I wanted one of them........why heck yeah!:D Rode up to his house this morning and bought the first one he had bought for himself. He had taken the bead breaker arm and cylinder off to clean and paint them and hadn't put them back together or painted them. So that will be my job now before I can use it. I think it's a Coats model 10, but all ID is long gone from it. This will have a permanent place in my shop somewhere. Here's a couple of pics he sent me, one when he first got it, the other after he had taken the bead breaker off.

When I was out of high school, in the 60's, I worked at a few gas stations, and used that exact tire changer quite a few times. Good score, you can't hurt them things.

Making it look a little better

Attachments

• tire machine paint.jpg
    tire machine paint.jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 19
  • tire machine paint 2.jpg
    tire machine paint 2.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 15
You got it looking lo New Old Stock now Bama

Not quite Dozer, pics will lie!:D It’s just Rustolem brushed on over all the pits. I did run a wire brush on a drill over it to knock off any loose stuff, but that was it. Just wanting to preserve it, not so much restore it. Still got a few spots I couldn’t get to to paint, and have got to clean and put the air cylinder back together. Hope to get some more time on it next weekend.

Got it all together except one spring. Going to have to bush the cylinder rod somehow, original brass bushing is shot, allowing piston to cock just enough to hang up, probably why it was retired in the first place. Started trying to break down this old bias ply, bottom did fair, top wouldn't budge. May have to increase the airline to 3/8", the 1/4" may just be too small, plenty of pressure, just not enough volume. Going to have to mount it, too, it's bad heavy to one side. May just bolt it to some 2x8's or a pallet for now until I pour some concrete.

Attachments

• tire machine painted.jpg
    tire machine painted.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 20
Got it all together except one spring. Going to have to bush the cylinder rod somehow, original brass bushing is shot, allowing piston to cock just enough to hang up, probably why it was retired in the first place. Started trying to break down this old bias ply, bottom did fair, top wouldn't budge. May have to increase the airline to 3/8", the 1/4" may just be too small, plenty of pressure, just not enough volume. Going to have to mount it, too, it's bad heavy to one side. May just bolt it to some 2x8's or a pallet for now until I pour some concrete.

Mine is all manual. No air. It hasn't failed me yet but will wear an old man out.

I break mine with my skidsteer and the forks [ddd
I had one of those manual tire changers with the air cylinder and loved it.

Still plugging along with it! Got it mounted to a pallet and a piece of 3/4" plywood, much more stable and still semi portable if it needs be. The air switch that controls the breakdown cylinder was a tiny button, hard on the finger, so a couple of pieces of scrap aluminum, 4 bolts and nuts, and I now have a thumb lever, much easier to work. I mentioned above that the cylinder bushing was shot, I didn't have anywhere to get one made, so I did the next best thing.....I honed it out with a fine grindstone to fit the OD of a piece of 1" copper tubing. The tubing was a slip fit over the cylinder rod, so now the piston stays in a straight line through it's travel, no more hang ups I hope. And here is my first total break down and dismount, a rotten radial on a 70's aluminum wheel. Took a bit to get it to turn loose since it was so rotten as well as the learning curve along with it, but I'm getting better, LOL! Got three more of that set to dismount, one more 70 and two 60's , they may be fun! Then I'll clean them up for trading fodder or just sell them outright.

Attachments

• IMG_20200711_190709190.jpg
    IMG_20200711_190709190.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200711_190736456.jpg
    IMG_20200711_190736456.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200711_190746407.jpg
    IMG_20200711_190746407.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200711_190759430.jpg
    IMG_20200711_190759430.jpg