Battery tip

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
I guess I had heard of this, just never had done it.
The old battery in the Harley wouldn't take a charge so I put aspirin in it and it rejuvenated.
I guess one aspirin in each cell on a car battery so I did a half. Charge and discharged it a couple times and now it starts the bike and holds a charge.

Aspirin or acetylsalicylic acid will combine with the battery's sulfuric acid to produce a small charge. But will seldom prolong battery life more than only a couple months.

Back in the early 70s an old guy I worked in a gas station with would put a piece of an Alka-Seltzer in a battery and tell the folks traveling they needed a new battery, guy had no heart at all. Spike

There used to be a product called something like VX-6 that was an additive to bring a battery back to life. I used it years ago and as I remember it cleaned the sulphur off of the plates and did make it last a little while longer. I have heard some people also turn the battery upside down and drain out the acid and put new acid in there.........don't know if it does any good though. The theory is that gunk collects in the bottom of the battery and shorts out the plates, if you remove it, rinse the battery out, and refill it with new acid you buy some time.

Don

Trying to rejuvenate a tired battery with asprin will only work if the plates have not eroded to the point of loosing half of their mass and this is short lived - adding new acid to a old battery may or maynot work, it depends on the plate integrety.

Latest posts

Back