Roadster pickup build, take two.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like Skip, I was envisioning wisps of smoke and liking the idea. So much so that I was already thinking of stealing your concept, Don. I'll have to practice a wee bit so I don't get just a 'Dalmation' effect, though.

I like the idea, but not your example so much.

I poked around a little and found this...

145e4ba4256bbddf1bb899d3f13207a3.jpg

I can imagine something of the kind, in the outlined areas below...

attachment.php

Attachments

• donsdash.jpg
    donsdash.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 67
Haha, yeah, the example I found was not exactly my cup of tea either......too much smoke. But I like the one Dr C posted, and I remember a 50 Ford a guy had when I was a kid, and the dash was done lightly and looked killer.

To me, it is more of a salute to old hot rods than anything. I am sure a lot of rodders will look at it and say "Oh, smoked dash, I remember when those were in vogue.", and some will say "Why the **** did he do THAT !"

But I think I will do a practice panel or two to see how to do it and how it turns out before I mess up the real dash.

The good Doctor's example is way closer to what I was thinking of. Tone it down by about 50% and I could start to like it. [cl

I like the idea, but not your example so much.

I poked around a little and found this...

145e4ba4256bbddf1bb899d3f13207a3.jpg

I can imagine something of the kind, in the outlined areas below...

attachment.php

That's what I was envisioning too. I think that would look great!

The good Doctor's example is way closer to what I was thinking of. Tone it down by about 50% and I could start to like it. [cl

If you tone it down that much, is there much point in doing it? I mean I like subtle, I just think in this case you need to strike a balance between "been in a fire" and "nicotine ceiling".

If you tone it down that much, is there much point in doing it? I mean I like subtle, I just think in this case you need to strike a balance between "been in a fire" and "nicotine ceiling".
I absolutely agree. And I suspect that I will like it once its done. :D Fortunately, the success of this build is not dependent on any one person's opinion.

PS-- A nicotine ceiling is not a pretty thing to deal with. Yellow/brown tarry stinky iiik that doesn't want to come off without a fight. But I get your analogy. :p

That looks sorta like the way I would do wood back when I did some woodworking for a hobby. Singe it with a propane torch, lightly sand it just enough to make it smooth and leave some burn marks in the lower parts, then varnish the heck out of it. Would really make a grain pop out.

That looks sorta like the way I would do wood back when I did some woodworking for a hobby. Singe it with a propane torch, lightly sand it just enough to make it smooth and leave some burn marks in the lower parts, then varnish the heck out of it. Would really make a grain pop out.

I use a propane torch on a lot of my wood projects before staining. It really brings out the grain and character in the wood.

Dan worked today, so I went to the shop and worked on some things I didn't need him for. One of the things I really enjoy doing is wiring a car from scratch. You don't get greasy, you don't burn or cut yourself, and it is relaxing. :D

I got the battery cables run from the battery to the starter. I could have used 4 gauge, but I decided to use 2 gauge just to make sure I get a good supply of current to the starter and to the rest of the electrical system. I also ran the rest of the wires that will bring current into the fuse panel, and got them ready to run through a hole in the body, when we remount it.

I also got the fuel tank ready to bolt to the frame, and worked on my fuel log to feed the 3 carburetors. I didn't want the input fuel hose to run up the firewall, where it could be seen, so I picked up some parts that will let me hide it behind the firewall, and run the fuel hose on the inside of the firewall. It will look a lot cleaner that way, I think.

Attachments

• DSC08033.jpg
    DSC08033.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC08032.jpg
    DSC08032.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC08028.jpg
    DSC08028.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC08027.jpg
    DSC08027.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC08026.jpg
    DSC08026.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC08025.jpg
    DSC08025.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC08024.jpg
    DSC08024.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC08023.jpg
    DSC08023.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC08029.jpg
    DSC08029.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC08030.jpg
    DSC08030.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 29
Looks really clean Don, it's obvious how much you like doing the wiring. My only comment, and please forgive me for sounding critical - are you sure you want the gas line inside the firewall? Fuel leaks don't happen very often, but if one ever does...

Looks great.[cl
Very clean wiring.:cool: :cool: :cool:
[P [P [P
Torchie

Great progress. [P[P

Thanks, guys. Every little thing is one more thing out of the way. :)

Looks really clean Don, it's obvious how much you like doing the wiring. My only comment, and please forgive me for sounding critical - are you sure you want the gas line inside the firewall? Fuel leaks don't happen very often, but if one ever does...

My son had the same concern about the fuel line, but you figure, Model A's had the fuel tank sitting on top of your lap, right inside the cowl.:eek: Plus, I am going to build a second "firewall" on the inside so that the line passes down between the two walls.

If we are honest, all of these things are deathtraps anyway. My 27 has 11 gallons of gas sitting right behind my seat, and if it was ever hit hard in the rear...……..:eek:

But I also have pretty good fire insurance, so …………...:D

Right you are Don! After I commented I thought, my Graham has the fuel cell right behind the seats, with only a plywood panel closing it off from the passenger compartment...but it's also on the "non pressure side" of the fuel system. Thanks for posting all your updates, your progress is amazing.

Right you are Don! After I commented I thought, my Graham has the fuel cell right behind the seats, with only a plywood panel closing it off from the passenger compartment...but it's also on the "non pressure side" of the fuel system. Thanks for posting all your updates, your progress is amazing.

Thanks, Bill. Yep, these things are not like a 2019 Lexus, with crumple zones, and all those safety features. No matter how well we build them, they are marginally safe, at best.

BTW, I used to have a fire extinguisher screwed to the kick panel of my 27, but people kept stealing it when I parked the car at a restaurant or some other place. I'd like to put one in this car, but I think I will put it in the bed, hidden by the louvered tonneau cover.

I do have a fire extinguisher screwed to the back seat delete in my Mustang, and it does give you some sense of security in case of a fire.

Thanks, Bill. Yep, these things are not like a 2019 Lexus, with crumple zones, and all those safety features. No matter how well we build them, they are marginally safe, at best.

BTW, I used to have a fire extinguisher screwed to the kick panel of my 27, but people kept stealing it when I parked the car at a restaurant or some other place. I'd like to put one in this car, but I think I will put it in the bed, hidden by the louvered tonneau cover.

I do have a fire extinguisher screwed to the back seat delete in my Mustang, and it does give you some sense of security in case of a fire.

It's really sad that people would steal your fire extinguisher. I agree it's good to have one for peace of mind.

I think I want a vinyl drivers area tonneau cover for my RPU. You know, out of sight of out mind.

The car is coming right along, keep up the great work!

Latest posts

Back