Clean And Prep

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i did a set a while back. tape off the polished outer ring, use paint stripper to remove most of the old paint. i used glass beads to finish and remove the last of the paint, this step also leaves a nice even texture, don't glass the outer ring, it will cause damage, to finish the outer ring, i chucked them up in a brake lathe and used different textures of scotch pad until the scratches were gone, then retaped them and painted the centers, the more time and effort you put into this, the nicer they'll turn out, mine came out really good, looked like new

Glass bead blasting works well, but almost any paint removal method works too. Don't worry about the outers as they can polished out.

Sorry to hijack thread, but here goes, I would like to see some of your cars galaxie500joe. My father still has the '63-1/2 500 XL he bought new. He still gets aggravated to this day that he did not opt for the 406 or 427 back then instead of the 390 3X2 intake-auto. It's the original champagne in & out with white vinyl roof. Beautiful stock car with only one difference from original, he had me polish the black off the grill and rear trim.

Latest posts

Back