NUTSERT install tool

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carlos Murphy

Guna mount dummy spots on my 50 Study pickup but no way to get inside the A-pillar to install a nut-plate to reinforce the sheet metal sos I decided to search for a nutsert tool and a assortment of nutserts.
Found what I wanted at Harbor Freight... #94100-4 VGA
Online price was $12.99 and if you print it out and take it to the store they will match that price. $9.98 for a box of assorted nuts.
I used a "borrowed" aircraft quality nutsert tool some years back when I installed leading edge landing lights in my Cherokee 180 but that tool was VERY expensive, this one will do just fine.:D

You may want to practice with the Harbor Freight tool. The aircraft grade and the HF tools are light years apart on quality and strength. The HF nutserts collapse very easily. The next thing to give are the threads of the nutsert or ribnut. The tool will pull the threads out and you will be drilling out the nutsert. I finally got where I could install one without damaging it, but was not comfortable with the strength of the nut with the threads being that soft.
Maybe NAPA carries a stronger nut for the job.

good luck,
railroad

Harbor Freight is running a 20% off coupon in all the mens magazines for the past couple of months. They have some coupons on unibits and other useful items in the same ads.

Thanks railroad,

I know, even with the aircraft (good tool) I practiced on a scrap piece of metal of the same thickness in order to get the proper adjustment so the nutsert would not be over or under crimped.

Aircraft Spruce & Specialties would be a good source for aircraft quality nutserts.

Never have really used a bought tool. Made one from some steel and put a couple of grooves into the metal to keep the ribnut from spinning. Never have had any problems.

Latest posts

Back