Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007!

Go Back   Undead Sleds / Rat Rods Rule - Hot Rods, Rat Rods, Sleepers, Beaters & Bikes... since 2007! > Builds!

Builds! Post your project here... show us what you're up to! Please Note: This section is for "Builds" ONLY!

Old 10-09-2014, 04:05 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

A Ranger 8.8 rear should be about the right width, about 58" IIRC.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:25 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

That is just about right. The toyota rear end is 56.5" wide. I don't mind going a little wider and grabbing some wheels for the back with a bigger backspacing since the ones i have now only have a 1 inch backspacing.

Also, a correction to my last post is that I have a c6 not a c4 trans with the 351.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Awesome build and VERY creative with the details! The new drivetrain should be a blast once it is in! Big fat tires on the rear? Super cool.

Oh, and since you asked about the visor (another splendid feature!), it looks okay black, but trying to match it to the hood and grille would look better. Wonder what's under the black paint?

Friend of mine calls me eccentric. I take that as a compliment!

Eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired, and when nature calls, answer!

Last edited by AZRodDave; 10-10-2014 at 11:45 PM. Reason: One man's opinion, and you know what they say about those ...
Old 10-13-2014, 10:42 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Wink

The visor has the factory light green primer under the black rattle can job. They didn't paint the back side black so it's still that funky green color. I almost wish it have more layers of paint on it so I could just sand it a bit. Messing with that has now taken a serious back seat to the drive train though
Old 10-13-2014, 11:14 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

As a recovering Jeep addict, I'm a sucker for flat fenders...any plans for putting yours back on?
Fantastic build, carry on!
-Chaz
Old 10-13-2014, 11:49 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyD View Post
The visor has the factory light green primer under the black rattle can job. They didn't paint the back side black so it's still that funky green color. I almost wish it have more layers of paint on it so I could just sand it a bit. Messing with that has now taken a serious back seat to the drive train though
I can surely appreciate that!

Friend of mine calls me eccentric. I take that as a compliment!

Eat when you're hungry, sleep when you're tired, and when nature calls, answer!
Old 10-13-2014, 03:28 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I'm unsure at the moment if the fenders will go back on it or not. I have all of them and they are all usable. If I did, I would likely modify them. I do kinda like it fenderless for now though.

I really like this truck and it has fenders similar to what I would do if I used mine I think.

Old 10-30-2014, 09:47 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I managed to get a smoking deal on an 8.8 posi rear end. It will be fun to get that tucked in at some point.

I also found a few issues with stuffing the new (to me) motor and trans in. My toyota frame uses the trans cross member as the torsion bar mount. Well, because of where my cab and grille need to sit on the frame, that cross member is way to far forward. So the torsion bars have to go so that I can chop the cross member out and put it where it needs to go. I looked into a bunch of options and decided that bagging the front will be the easiest and, oddly, the cheapest way to go. I'll just do the front for now and deal with the back next winter maybe. Needless to say, my motor swap is snowballing. Not like that is a big surprise but still...
Old 11-05-2014, 03:21 PM
Rusty Rat Rodder

Default the good kind

It's the kind of snowballing that we like here from the sidelines.

-Chaz
Old 11-14-2014, 11:51 AM
Rusty Rat Rodder

I need to upload a few more pics but I haven't had time lately. I had a bit of a shopping spree and have a pile-o-parts sitting in the garage now which is cool. The motor/trans fit really nicely now that I took the cutoff wheel to a bunch of the work I did in the spring on my tunnel and firewall and the factory trans crossmember and motor mounts. I also canned the sway bar, torsion bars and another bolt in crossmember. I'm getting close to fabbing motor mounts and a new trans crossmember. The material is in the garage and some of it is even cut. Hopefully next week, I'll have the motor/trans in on their own mounts.