Roadster pickup build, take two.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From my "For what it's worth " file.
At this point in my life, a car on the road is worth two in the shop.:eek: [ddd
I'd get it together and drive the wheels off of it.
It's going to look great not matter how you do it.[cl :D :cool:
JMHO.....
[P [P [P
Torchie

I definitely understand that viewpoint. I think if it's your only ride, get it running and driving and then improve it to what you want the finished product to be as you go. If you have other cars, then I would say take the little bit extra time and get it to where you want it to be before putting it on the road.

It's a personal decision though, some need the motivation of a car that drives to get the drive to keep working on it and others don't.

either way, this little pickup is going to look awesome when it's done!

You both make great points. I learned, like when I would put a boat together for myself, that if I didn't put every last screw in place before it hit the water, it would never get put in. I've had to force myself to refrain from launching or driving something before it is totally done, because I know me.

Today my order from Summit came. I got my SPAL electric fan and a new water neck for the intake. The water neck I had was on a 45 degree angle and put the hose on a weird angle, so I bought a 90 degree that should be a straighter shot.

I've also had the radiator I had PRC build for me for about 3 years or so, and now I can put the fan on it and get it installed for the last time. I'm going in for some knee surgery on 8/15, so I want to get as much done before then because I have no idea how long I will be laid up.

Here are a couple of pictures of my radiator and fan. I am going to pick up a piece of aluminum from the guy who built my fuel tank and make a shroud to hold the fan. I am off early next week from work, so I can get that then and start building it.

Attachments

• DSC07876.jpg
    DSC07876.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSC07879.jpg
    DSC07879.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC07882.jpg
    DSC07882.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 16
attachment.php

I've always liked a functioning "unfinished" hot rod or race car. I know that's not you style, but I appreciate what the car's made of, not the shine so much...

Ya know, Doc, I keep looking at that picture you posted and going "hmmmmm", part of me likes the "fresh out of a barn" look. Like always, I never can make up my mind on what color to paint a car until I walk into the paint store.

It sure would save me a lot of time and work to leave this one like it is, and I do kinda like it that way. Decisions, decisions.

I have to chime in with my affinity for the comfortable worn leather and faded jeans look. I'm not the only one judging by the smiles, thumbs up and camera flashes on the streets. Many people react happily when they see someone having fun in an antique looking car that might have been put together inexpensively. I do worry that your sons might disown you if you drove it out of the shop like that Don. :)

I have to chime in with my affinity for the comfortable worn leather and faded jeans look. I'm not the only one judging by the smiles, thumbs up and camera flashes on the streets. Many people react happily when they see someone having fun in an antique looking car that might have been put together inexpensively. I do worry that your sons might disown you if you drove it out of the shop like that Don. :)

You must be psychic, earthman, I got exactly that reaction when I showed my son Dan that picture and said I really like the look. He said, well, we can't just clear it, it would rust underneath, we'll paint it and then age it !

I think he knows he will be getting this car when I die, so he wants to make sure it is done the say HE wants it ! lol

Thank you so much for posting those old threads for me. The date I started on this thing was 8/1/2011 !!!!! WOW !!! I didn't realize it was that long ago.

Thanks again for the links.

Funny enough, I was reading through those old build threads and realized how much your plan seems to have changed through the years. At first you said it would have the radiator in the back, a moon tank in the empty A shell, and be a flat or satin red that's aged a bit. Combine that with the Olds that was in it and some other changes, boy this thing is a lot different but coming out really awesome!

It's funny how we change our minds through the years.

I was also wondering if you had any photos of Dan's RPU to share?

Funny enough, I was reading through those old build threads and realized how much your plan seems to have changed through the years. At first you said it would have the radiator in the back, a moon tank in the empty A shell, and be a flat or satin red that's aged a bit. Combine that with the Olds that was in it and some other changes, boy this thing is a lot different but coming out really awesome!

It's funny how we change our minds through the years.

I was also wondering if you had any photos of Dan's RPU to share?

Haha, you are absolutely right, I change my mind more than I change my underwear ! I too saw the part about the radiator in the rear, then I did a 180 on that one. I never know how I am going to end up.

As for Dan's rpu, yeah, I have to dig out some current pictures from my old computer and move them to this one, but in the meantime, here are some old videos of us driving it, and also of Dan winning two trophies the first time he had it out at a show. This was Billetproof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ-akqdncZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLbT0VCcdoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFWQ7rRnJPk

It has a "slight" cam in it ! lol

Haha, you are absolutely right, I change my mind more than I change my underwear ! I too saw the part about the radiator in the rear, then I did a 180 on that one. I never know how I am going to end up.

As for Dan's rpu, yeah, I have to dig out some current pictures from my old computer and move them to this one, but in the meantime, here are some old videos of us driving it, and also of Dan winning two trophies the first time he had it out at a show. This was Billetproof:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ-akqdncZU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLbT0VCcdoQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFWQ7rRnJPk

It has a "slight" cam in it ! lol

Thanks for sharing, that thing sounds wild and looks awesome!

Thanks, guys. Dan did a really nice job on it. He is a fanatic when it comes to little details, drives me nuts sometimes because I just want to get something done and he won't finish it until it is perfect. Me, not so picky.

Thanks, guys. Dan did a really nice job on it. He is a fanatic when it comes to little details, drives me nuts sometimes because I just want to get something done and he won't finish it until it is perfect. Me, not so picky.

I've seen some of your builds....plenty "picky" enough for my taste! :)

Don, you should be "picky" with your build because my roadster pick up is definitely not "picky" and I don't need any competition.:D

I don't know, guys, the older I get, the less picky I am. Kinda racing the clock, if you know what I mean. lol

Tonight my two sons are out of town, so I got some time to myself and decided to build the fan shroud for the rpu. Dan had some left over 16 gauge aluminum from his car project, so I borrowed a piece.

My SPAL fan came from Summit, so I cut a hole in the aluminum, cut the piece to fit the radiator, and tomorrow I am going to fasten the fan and the shroud to the radiator, and install them on the car. I think I will brush finish the aluminum with a scotchbrite pad first to "age" it a little.

Attachments

• DSC07883.jpg
    DSC07883.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC07884.jpg
    DSC07884.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 23
Today it had to be 100 degrees in the shop, but I forced myself to finish up the fan shroud. It is now 100% done and ready to mount on the car. I wanted a brushed finish on the aluminum, plus lots of rivets, to give it somewhat of an old, weathered look. So I took some fine sandpaper, stainless brushes, and then scotchbrite pads and dulled the finish.

After that, I mounted the electric fan to the shroud, and riveted the whole thing to the framework of the radiator. Came out ok, if I say so myself, and best of all, it is DONE !

Now I can get the radiator mounted to the car without the grille shell, to see what kinds of clearances and other stuff I have. Not a huge step, but a step !

Attachments

• DSC07898.jpg
    DSC07898.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSC07900.jpg
    DSC07900.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back