steering wheel repair

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

24dodge

One of the Dodge brothers
I picked up this steering wheel at the Daytona swap meet , it was cracked in several places , its pretty easy to fix one , file the cracks to create a v shape and fill with pc7 epoxy , you can get it at home depot or lowes , then sand prime sand prime sand till its smooth , I was pretty exited to find this one ..... any guess`s on what it is ? (and yes I know)

Attachments

• IM000833 (Medium).JPG
    IM000833 (Medium).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 147
Very Nice !!!

Nice job on the repair, '24.
Good looking wheel, but no idea what it is from. '22

Dang it, I knew what that was cause I'm looking for a Lincoln steering wheel. If you find a ring, I've got a nice Lincoln button you can have if it will work. It's a different year but may fit. Stand by for a pic.

Here you go. I had to find it and take a picture. The flash takes away some of the detail. It says "Lincoln Twelve" on it. Let me know if you think you can use it and I'll mail it out to you or bring it to the next cruise up your way. Nice job on the wheel by the way.

this isn`t the wheel I was looking for, but I got a deal on it so I bought it , I wanted a 42-47 wheel like the one you posted a pic of from the billetproof show , I`ve had this horn ring for years , can`t find a wheel I can afford.

Attachments

• IM000834.JPG
    IM000834.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 56
this isn`t the wheel I was looking for, but I got a deal on it so I bought it , I wanted a 42-47 wheel like the one you posted a pic of from the billetproof show , I`ve had this horn ring for years , can`t find a wheel I can afford.

That's the wheel I want too. The semi-transparent dark red one. That's why I was stashing the horn button. I see you already have one though.:)

PC7 works nice,but I find it takes a couple days to set up properly.

I've used JB Weld before to fix some small cracks in a wheel, and if you get the fast setting stuff you canusually start working it in a couple of hours (to be safe).

I'm a little crazy (OK a lot), but this is the stock wheel I'm gonna restore for my 40 Commander (more then jsut a few cracks). Probably attack that over the winter, because right now I just want to get the car on the road (should be soon) and I'm using the stock GM tilt column and wheel. I'm not sure whats gonna be involved in making an adapter for the Stude wheel to fit the GM column, but I'll chock something up in the lathe and figure it out.

Ebaypics046.jpg

finished my other Lincoln wheel today , its a shame that this one was an original translucent red one but it was a mess , and I couldn`t afford $1200 to have it redone

Attachments

• IM000896.JPG
    IM000896.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IM000897.JPG
    IM000897.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 20
hey guys, heres some pics of wheels ive done, i too, 'V' out the cracks and fill with pc-7 or eastwoods verions of wheel repair epoxy.

then i finsh sand prime and i have found that baking it in an oven at 150 degrees for 15 minutes and letting cool helps to shrink the fill.
after it cools i finish repairs that seem to show up in the primer,
i think this simulates the SUN baking your wheel on hot days and allowing repairs to show up now as aposed to down the road.

i had a few of my first wheels come back befor i was taught by a more experienced rodder this trick. since then no comebacks or defects.

hope this helps keepin em looking good longtime!

Attachments

• wheeld.jpg
    wheeld.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 22
  • wheelc.jpg
    wheelc.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 22
  • wheelb.jpg
    wheelb.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 19
  • wheela.jpg
    wheela.jpg