Need to start the rust process....how?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisguy65

Sandblasted my metal to get the thick tar like paint of and start freash. Been thinking about painting it and then going back with a sander to bring it back to metal in spots. My question is how do you get the dark red smooth rust? Not the orange stuff?

water, salt, vinegar works I've read but no pictures since photoshopped flipped the switch.

Lowbudget posted a recipe for rust, I think it works great, the key is to do it out in the hot sun. 1 16oz bottle of hydrogen peroxide, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt shake well in a spray bottle, coat let it bubble and fizz re-coat again and again.

Forgot to mention all the areas that you want to rust have to be cleaned with a good strong degreaser before applying the rust potion.

Last edited:
I knew a guy that ran demo derby's. When he wanted the tech inspectors not to notice a modification that wasn't necessarily legal, he'd brush battery acid on it.

I have used calcium chloride from the rear wheel of my tractor probably not environmentaly friendly

If you want quick results, i used the salt/vinegar in a spray bottle but, on fine steel wool. Wherever you want rust, rust stains and streaks, stretch out the steel wool over what you want to rust and spray it with the salt vinegar mix. I, myself, soaked the steel wool in gas first to accelerate the process. I also took an old metal coffee can, put some old bolts and nuts in it and let it sit in a gas/salt mix, made a rust liquid i put in a spray bottle and made some rust streaks. Let it dry and it wont come off.

Attachments

• 20170702_193758.jpg
    20170702_193758.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 20160909_174742.jpg
    20160909_174742.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20160909_174728.jpg
    20160909_174728.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 26
If you want quick results, i used the salt/vinegar in a spray bottle but, on fine steel wool. Wherever you want rust, rust stains and streaks, stretch out the steel wool over what you want to rust and spray it with the salt vinegar mix. I, myself, soaked the steel wool in gas first to accelerate the process. I also took an old metal coffee can, put some old bolts and nuts in it and let it sit in a gas/salt mix, made a rust liquid i put in a spray bottle and made some rust streaks. Let it dry and it wont come off.

Thanks guys.

**stickfigure**

Did your rust continue to darken over time or did you re apply it to get it darker? I like the darken red smooth rust vs the orange color.

It was orange at first but got darker in just a few days. My rust was on top of the paint. It stained and no matter how much you washed the car, the rust dont come off.

Latest posts

Back