Speedster photo thread!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya got us stumped E-Man.. I thought the engine was a Hispano Suiza, but not so. Heres a pic of one--Not a Liberty eather--water cooled--both of em..

The car has JAP on it--an english MC motor I believe, but no air cooled V 8.. The jugs sure look aircraft. I give..

What IS that motor??

PA41

Hello jap v8 airship 1910ish v8jap.jpg

GN-V8-aero-special_engine.jpg first post so hope it works...

I guess speedsters started evolving into something else. Like these--they may be the end of 'speedster' or the beginning of indy/sports cars?

The first here is a 28 Ford Cunningham car, the last is Jay Lenos tank engine powered monster.

PA41

Attachments

• 1928-Ford-Speedster-of-Greg-Cunningham-Side-Angle-Speed-1-1280x960.jpg
    1928-Ford-Speedster-of-Greg-Cunningham-Side-Angle-Speed-1-1280x960.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 143
  • GlenBillqvist01.jpg
    GlenBillqvist01.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 113
  • JorgeZanatta04.jpg
    JorgeZanatta04.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 129
  • tb_lenolead-lg-3.jpg
    tb_lenolead-lg-3.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Speedsters

Here are a few pics of some old speedsters

Attachments

• FRD-1919-001_Side_View_1-420x257.jpg
    FRD-1919-001_Side_View_1-420x257.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 69
  • hrdp_0908_01_z+1937_hudson_speedster+rear_view.jpg
    hrdp_0908_01_z+1937_hudson_speedster+rear_view.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 90
  • Mercer.jpg
    Mercer.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 88
  • miller-convertible-1924-150x150.jpg
    miller-convertible-1924-150x150.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 91
  • renault-vanderbilt-1907-150x150.jpg
    renault-vanderbilt-1907-150x150.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 89
Worked fine--Thanks Jacko. I was suspecting it was jap, just could'nt locate an example. These speedsters remind me of an antique version of a Lotus 7 type of car we see today. Another inspiriation from an 'across the pond' car.

PA41

a bit too big for a speedster i think ? just take a look on youtube {brutus}47,000cc and only 2.3 mpg[dr

Attachments

• brutus.jpg
    brutus.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 83
OW--OWW---- That was so good it hurt!!

Please post a warning before directing me to stuff like that..

Now I'm going to have to drag myself through the day realizing what a dull hum-drum world I live in...

Driving a Dodge PU, when I oughtta be driving THIS!!!!

PA41

Attachments

• Duesenberg-SJ--Mormon-Meteor--Sp-2.jpg
    Duesenberg-SJ--Mormon-Meteor--Sp-2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 33
I like the one directly above because it could be built somewhat easily. Any 1930's chassis with parallel leaf springs front and rear would work. Maybe a little narrowing of the frame. Certainly strong enough to hold any driveline within reason for a speedster. Start with a radiator shell and hood. Then all you have to do is spend 10 years learning how to metalwork sheetmetal into a pleasing shape without $30,000 invested in an English wheel, Pullmax, etc.:eek:

I like the one directly above because it could be built somewhat easily. Any 1930's chassis with parallel leaf springs front and rear would work. Maybe a little narrowing of the frame. Certainly strong enough to hold any driveline within reason for a speedster. Start with a radiator shell and hood. Then all you have to do is spend 10 years learning how to metalwork sheetmetal into a pleasing shape without $30,000 invested in an English wheel, Pullmax, etc.:eek:

Have you seen the build thread of my boat-tail?

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8509

Very few actual period correct parts will be used in the construction. It is mostly being built out of free or near free junk. No high dollar tools (Century MIG is the nicest tool I own).

Ah, Mr. Flipper, but you have an imagination that allows you to see shapes in fenders, hoods, etc. that can be homogenized into a cool car body. I do not have that talent.

BTW, I follow your build very closely, with great appreciation for what you do.

Latest posts

Back