1950 GMC build after 31 year slumber

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The advanced design trucks must be the most difficult front clip to assemble. You can move the back of the cab left or right, move the core support, and move the running boards. Once the fenders fit, the hood is still a problem. You very rarely see one with a hood that actually lines up. Mine sure doesn't.

Thanks guys. I think I just need to loosen everything up and it will come together. Right now the fenders are hitting the boards so the mount hole won't line up. I think the cab might need to shift around a little too. Hopefully tomorrow I can get back on it. My hood is a wreck anyways. The front seem is split, there is a hole where the fan blade went trough it in 1978 and the drivers side has a rust hole behind the hinge mount.

Well it's been a while but the clip did get bolted on finally. But then I sw the radiator was only 1/8" away from the A/C compressor pulley so I decided to do nothing with the truck for pretty much all year. I had a spare 2 hours today so I finally moved the radiator to the front of the core support and remounted it. I have the upper core piece roughed out where I have to move the cut out for the cap due to the new position. Now I just need to remount the cooling fan and that hurdle will be done. next is rebuild the rear brakes and add shims to the rear locker I put in so I can mount the bed, put in the glass...finish wiring....etc....Maybe next year? Lol

Glad to see ya back at it. It all takes time. I spent about five years on my Ghia and probably got another to go before I get it so I can live with.

I don't think any of us start out with the idea it will be a race! Lots of building has more to do with all that thinking you do for your next move...

Most of us know about those hiatus periods. I think my rpu took 8-9 years and I only got after it towards the end in the summer of 2012 so I could get it on the street before the world came to an end.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately I have to get it buttoned up a bit more so I can move it outside. I have a customers rig that will need the steel table which the 50 is sitting on. Funny, I had a big push last year to get the Datsun buttoned up so I could get the 50 on the table...Lol. [cl

Here are some shots of the radiator in its new location as well as the top brace that I had to turn 180 and fill in the old hole I cut in it.

John, I just went back through this whole thread - you have done a whole lot of really great work. You're close to being finished. Hope you can sneak a few more hours on it. I'm really interested in the engine wiring and layout.

Well I was able to sneak a few more hours into it as they say. I got the grille mounted. Moving the radiator and associated hardware forward means I had to trim the back side of the slat mounts more to fit. But It is in there now.

DJ3100 - the wiring isn't pretty at this point. I need a PCM mount so I can mount it on the drivers side inner fender. I started working on getting the headlights and turn signals cleaned up and wired.

I too went back to the middle of this build and caught up.
I would like to be as far along as you on my 48 but have had to do OP's projects.

I too went back to the middle of this build and caught up.
I would like to be as far along as you on my 48 but have had to do OP's projects.

Yeah just don't look at my posting dates...then you won't see the almost 1 year gap in between...:confused:

I just reread the entire thread. I am going to stop whining about the patches I need to do on my 38. :eek: NICE WORK!

I think the problem solving is half the fun of putting an older body on a modern chassis.

I started putting in the new (and 1 old) glass in the 50. I figured I would start small and do the quarter window first....Bad idea! I quit after 2 hours and some bruised fingers! The glass is back in and the lock strip is 1/2 way in...Success is measured in 1/16" sections with the lock strip...[S

The windshields went slightly better. The passengers side went right in in about 20 minutes. The drivers took a bit more and it seems to not fit the opening very well... It seems to want to be up abut 1/4" on the outer corner...I'm letting it sit for a bit and see if it settles a bit. You can just see the rubber is pulled up on the lower corner in the pic.

Oh, and I can't find the lock strip for the windshield. I ordered all of the glass and rubber from LMC truck over a year ago and it looks like they forgot to include the strip. Guess I should have checked the box when it came in and not just put it on the shelf.[S

I started with the 1/4 windows as well - never could get them in. I went on to the windshield, got one almost in; then broke it. The glass guy I found, took about 5 minutes to get the 1/4 windows in. He cut a new 1/2 windshield and charged me less than I paid mail order.

Latest posts

Back