1950 GMC build after 31 year slumber

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man that thing looks cool as heck......

Even the bumper seems to fit in....I agree with maybe slicing and dicing it to make it narrower... thought about doing that on my pickup as well....mine is a painted bumper so no rub strip...Really looks good man..very nice..

Definitely looking good, I think this type of project is a really cool idea, driveability of a modern truck but the cool lines of the old body...

Day 5:

I know it doesn't look like much but I did get some more stuff done. I trimmed all of the unused stuff off the bottom of the column so I could place the steering wheel where I wanted it. I had to move the park neutral swicth up about 5" to clear the floor. I trimmed down the brake pedal mount and put the steering column drop back on it where it should be for the ne postition. I then trimmed the firewall for the brake booster. I clamped, measured, wiggled, eyeballed, measured again until it was perfect. After I welded it in I can now see the booster leans in towards the motor. Crap! Oh well. I will fix that when I do the sheetmetal work on the cab. I also realized after all the work of putting the column mounting plate back on the pedal mount that it is up to high and the pedal will hit the dimmer switch. But if I put the column where I want it then all I have to do is slide the dimmer down more and lengthen the rod. I also need to pie cut the pedal and move it closer to the floor and put a notch in the body line on the firewall. But it is 90% done for now.

Oh and I finished the front mount for the radiator support too. I think after this the updates will slow down a bit as I will have to get back onto customers cars next week. Boss says my week is up!

1351884058.jpg

1351884072.jpg

1351884092.jpg

Day 6:

So I didn't get much done today even though it was supposed to be my last project day according to the shop Manager (Wife). A guy showed up to buy my sons parts motor from the wrecked Ranger he bought for the frame. But we had to pull it out of what was left of the rig. In the middle of that a guy showed up to buy a Mr. Gasket Bird catcher scoop I had for sale. It is going on a studebaker rat pickup with a cummins in it. Not sure if he is on here but I may suggest it. He builds tube buggies as well. Then I had to do bills, banking, parts pick up etc. Then I had to clean the house for my wifes party tonight and then go to work. :eek:

So All I got done was to blow a hole in the firewall for the steering column and set it in place for a look see. Looks like I will have to open up the notch in the bottom of the dash and re-work the stock C1500 column drop that I modified into the wrong spot. [S In all it will work well and retain the column shift and clear the brake set up. [;)

*SSHHH!* (I might sneak the column drop mod and notch in monday morning while the manager is at her day job!)

1351977437.jpg

1351977450.jpg

Also thinking of changing the dash layout as I know having the notch for the column off center from the 2 existing gauges will screw with my O.C.D. Not sure how anyone drove these things stock as the stock notch is offset to the center from the gauges![S

So I have some Autometer gauges (2 5/8") so I thought I would pick up a single 5" speedo and center it over the column. Then make 4 pods for the smaller gauges and put them over the center grille of the dash where the radio would have been. I will have to grab some cardboard and mock it up for a look see. [P[;)

I like the looks of your build, as I'm doin one similiar. Ya, I agree the bumper looks good. Ya can see some pics of my junk on the p-bucket link.. [P

Last edited:
So back to my dash idea. I picked up another glove box door that I will add to the drivers side of the dash. Then I will put a single 5" speedo over the column and up a little so there is a 1/2 pod into the top of the dash. 4 smaller gauges centered over the center of the dash. It will look kinda like a 50 chevy coupe dash as far as the trim and speedo. If you look hard enough you can see the layout in my brain.....[P

So no time to work on the 50 lately but I did order some patch panels to fix the cab. Most of the floor and inner stuff I will scratch build as they are easy panels. Just ordered the right lower hinge panel and both lower outer cab panels behind the front fenders. I did drag my 1969 chevy stepside bed center out of the woods. Seems to fit with only moving all but one support rail![S

Can totally understand the no time off thing....

It's been crazy around here too.... anyway.....ideas are great...have chair, will wait...[P[P

Cool build! You got a lot done in a week.

My avatar is a similar build with an '80 C1500 front suspension clip. The big truck fenders should help you deal with the wheel track width in the front. On mine I radiused the wheel openings and rolled them out - tires still rub at times.

I used the stock cab mounts including the rear shackles (definitely wouldn't use the shackles again). I would change that and go with a modern type of cab mount. 1/2" of rubber in the front isn't enough to kill the vibration in the cab.

Also, you need a bunch of adjustment (both left and right and front to back) on the radiator support to make the hood fit properly. In fact temporarily mounting the hood about now will probably save you hours of goofing later.

I never would have thought that bumper would look that good!

The big truck fenders should help you deal with the wheel track width in the front. On mine I radiused the wheel openings and rolled them out - tires still rub at times.

1/2" of rubber in the front isn't enough to kill the vibration in the cab.

Also, you need a bunch of adjustment (both left and right and front to back) on the radiator support to make the hood fit properly. In fact temporarily mounting the hood about now will probably save you hours of goofing

Thanks for the kind words and info. There is a ton of adjustment room on all my mounts for alignment. Not sure what I am going to use for a moount rubber yet. my 1/2" was a guesstiment. I would like to find and nice round chep cushion that I could run top and bottom of the mount plate. That would help with the vibration issues.

so after sitting for a month and a half (life just seems to get in the way!) I did get a little more done on the 50. I finished the column mount, trimmed the old seat mount out, tried the new (1990) seat, fits well, stuck the 69 step side bed center on it, will need to move the floor braces around and lower the bed a little. My father in law found an extra set of 48 ford rear fenders that will go on it. I found a bunch of chevy fenders up here but refuse to pay $300 for rusty used ones. Next is rebend the brake pedal and start on the grille / bumber area. Still need to fix the lower control arms and steering box.

1358294568.jpg

Funny thing it the steering column, seat position etc are in exactly the same position with the 50 cab as the 1990 was. I had to move a bunch of stuff around on the column becase to firewall is farther back but the stock 90 steering shaft hooked right up. Weird

SO i worked on the gauges this week end. I did a thread in the dash section on how I did the swap. Basically gutted the stock 1950 GMC gauges and swapped in all the guts from a 1994 Chevy truck cluster. Here is what I started with and what I ended with.
1359305513.jpg

1359305523.jpg

1359307389.jpg

1359316778.jpg

will do ZPI. I still have to wire them but I will probably wait until I get a harness for the truck to tackle it.

Latest posts

Back