S10 Rack & Pinion Steering Conversion

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skip

i did a bit of research on R&P conversions on S10s this morning. When I started my 39 Ford PU project, the conventional wisdom was that it could not be done. Well, now for a bunch of money it can be done. That said, if it can be done with an expensive kit, it can be done with junk yard parts on the cheap. Since cheap is me, I am open to suggestions. I'm using an '89 S10 standard cab short bed chassis. It seems like all the stuff I saw on line is super complicated. I know that steering is not a great place to cut corners, but if I am going to consider the idea, it has to be simple. I can fabricate and weld brackets. I don't have a machine shop.

What do y'all think?

Hopefully joedoh or Old iron will weigh in of this subject. I believe they both have a lot of S-10 frame experience.
[P [P [P
Torchie

Got the 96 Explorer rack installed today, had to cut a big notch to clear the input shaft and notched the other side as well to match, also to make room for the radiator. Since this would likely weaken the crossmember cutting so much out, I added a 1x2 crossmember in front to restore strength.
After that I bucked off the hideous stock front frame horns and welded in new 2x4 front horns, much neater looking. The rack is mounted on a gusseted plate that will also act as a kind of skid pate to protect it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

From ZZ's 34 CAD build....

That's the way ya do it.
Take all the steering parts off install standoffs and mount the rack.
The most critical part is getting the inner tie rod joints, in the rack to be close to the same height as the front a-arm pivot points. That keeps the bump steer to a minimum.

Interested in this project too. Little T I picked up needs some steering and I'm considering snagging a R&P.

Thank you, Gentlemen. That looks as easy as I thought it should be when I was told that it wouldn't work years ago. I should have been a trailblazer back then. I'll look over ZZ's Cad build again. That will be fun anyway. Are there any other S10 conversions on here. I looked at what a guy on Kill Billet did, but it looked like he really went crazy with the engineering. Scared me off.

I don't have power steering now, so I will look to see if there is a non-power R&P that will do the trick.

Measure. Think. Price parts. This is officially the back-up plan if the current set up proves unworkable.

What are you wanting to gain by using a rack? If you want faster steering, you can go to a ZQ8 box. Otherwise, just by googling "S10 rack and pinion conversion" I was able to find stuff from guys on other forums who have done it. That's a good place to start if you don't want to lay down $1125 for the unisteer kit. Keeping in mind that the $1125 is probably a good investment if you end up having to diagnose and correct bump steer or other issues in your home-fab build.

Latest posts

Back