My Grandson's first camping trip + A little family history

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snake Farm

Ol school snake charmer!
For those of you that have been following my "Paradise Road" build thread you know my time has been totally consumed by my daughter's house. However this past weekend I quit at noon on Saturday and we headed off to the family cabin for a brief bit of R&R and Gunner's first overnight at the camp. It was a most enjoyable weekend even with a few showers...

There were cards for the guys.........I think Gunner won every hand

There was a seminar on fire building....

And cars and trucks by lantern light........

Sunday the sun came out.....

And although at age two he will not likely remember it , we headed out to introduce Gunner to some family history.

First stop, my Mother's childhood home.....A hand hewn log house with clapboard siding built in 1899-1900

My Mother's father was born in this house in 1901. In this pic his Mother (my Great Grandmother) and her brother sit on the front steps...

This pic was taken in 1942 and shows my Grandmother holding my Mother....

I kicked the dirt and moss off the rock they were standing on.....

And then snapped this pic of my Mother holding my Grandson....

Hang on, out of room for pics....

After visiting my Grandparents old home place we hit the back roads for some family history on my Father's side. With all of his riding so far being strapped in a car seat facing backwards, Gunner really enjoyed sitting up front on the logging roads.....

And plowing through a few mudholes.....

After about 5 miles of logging roads and a 200 yard hike....

We arrive at the grave of my Father's Great, Great, Great Grandfather

During the Civil War three Union Soldiers came to his farm about 30 miles south of this site and forced him into service as a guide to lead them to a Confederate encampment about 6 miles to the north of here. He was accompanied by a son who was about 10 or 11 years old and when the soldiers were confident they could make the rest of the trek on their own they shot the elder Tharp and sent his son back home.

Here are four generations of Amos's grandchildren.....my Father, me, my daughter and my Grandson Gunner.........

As I said, Gunner will probably not remember any of this but he sure had a good time as did the rest of us and I'm sure he will visit both of these places many times again as I have down through my life.

Days like this are truly a blessing! :cool:

Excellent post! I enjoyed the family history and the pix of the old family home. Thanks a bunch! You may not believe it now, but Gunner may remember some of this later. I still have memories that I can confirm with pix of a time when I can be about the same age as Gunner. I don't remember it all but certain things at that age are still in my mind. Some of my family had an old cabin on the banks of what is called Salt Springs. The cabin sat right on the spring surrounds and is long gone now. Salt Springs is now a commercialized tourist trap and all hints of the old cabins there are long gone. My memories of that place involve swimming in the spring before it was a state park back when I was about 2-3 yrs old. My sister threw a beer can at me filled with water one day and made a cut on my head in which I still carry the scar. Another vivid memory I have of that time is crabbing out of an old wooden boat right in the spring run. We filled the boat pretty full of people. 4 adults and atleast 5 kids ranging from about 3-8 years old. A 14 foot boat with 2 large trash cans in the center to hold the crabs. We filled the cans with crabs in short order. Crabbing back in those days was done with a chicken neck tied to a string. Bring them slowly to the surface and snagging them with a net. The most vivid memories I have of that trip was the overloaded boat and the gunwales threatening to take on water while trying to make it back to the cabin through waters having gators everywhere and a few were longer than the boat we were in...

Latest posts

Back