F-2 Stang

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Parking Brake

Sometimes, there is no good way to get an assembly in the drill press. Having a hand drill with a bubble level helps get the holes straight.

I wanted to be sure the shaft was perdendicular with the handle and wouldn't pull when it was welded. I made the shaft .001 larger than the hole. I heated the hole and the shaft dropped right in.

The shaft is Stainless Steel. I won't have to worry about it rusting.

The last photo shows my cad system for this assembly. I know, there are better ways to do it. But, that's why we call them Art Rods, right?

Attachments

• 12 hand drill.jpg
    12 hand drill.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 77
  • 13 shrink fit.jpg
    13 shrink fit.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 77
  • 14  shrink fit 2.jpg
    14 shrink fit 2.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 81
  • 18 cad sytem.jpg
    18 cad sytem.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 89
Parking Brake

Here it is mocked up in place. In the vertical position the brake is applied. I think it is in the way enough that I won't be driving around with the parking brakes on.

The last photo shows the shaft support. I'm a little concerned that there is only 3/8 clearance under the tranny. I think I can shorten the shaft and move the cables toward the driver (they are now centered in the car) and next to the tranny instead of under it. I'll need to get the cables installed to make sure everything will line up.

Attachments

• 15 in car left.jpg
    15 in car left.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 105
  • 16 in car R side.jpg
    16 in car R side.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 104
  • 17 in car right brkt1.jpg
    17 in car right brkt1.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 97
as always outstanding work.. the handle turned out fantastic... i hope to have a shop that i can play in one day.. ill just continue on with grinder and cut off wheels!

Keep it up man, thanks for the detailed documentation

Thanks Corpo, Glad you like the construction details.

Hey, with a grinder and cut-off wheels (and maybe a welder) you can build most anything. If you use the grinder to scuplt - you're an artist!:eek:
I do a lot of sculpting (especially on ugly welds).

I sure enjoy your build pics. I keep going back and looking in the background at frame/suspension details -- The design is exellent. The stiffness and strength of the chassis is super, with the center tranny tunnel and door sills all being structural. It all looks so 'sports car', I'd love to see the completed car mixing it up on a road course. Maybe a Youtube of the future? A sport rat. :)

Thanks for the look at your work--keep on keepin on..

PA41

Thanks, glad to know you're liking the build. I used pics of Cobra, Factory Five, and Aerial Atom frames for inspiration - there is a sports car influence. But, I'd much rather have a rat than a Vette. The plan is that all the '48 sheetmetal stays bare and rough, while the frame gets smoothed and painted semi-flat gray.

This week I'll pull the body off, clamp the frame down to the platen and get the rest of the braces and gussets welded in. I'll be putting in wire chases, routing brake and fuel lines and all the brackets I can think of. It'll probably be a month before the frame is ready to paint.

Everything will mount to the frame (including the electrical, except the gages) - in theory, I'll be able to drive it without the body.

I'll post some more photos of the frame as I go.

YouTube eludes me. I barely figured out how to post photos. I have a son-in-law with a video camera and computor skills, so maybe, when it gets there I can get him involved.

Thanks, Bonehead. I just reviewed your build - again and I'm always impressed with your photos. One of the things you ( and a lot of others on this forum) do that I really struggle with, is keeping the theme of the build intact. When you're done, everything looks like it belongs.

I have a hard time not taking the easy way out, even though it doesn't really fit what I'm trying to build. On this build, I am resisting the urge to get out the check book (mostly because it's pretty empty) and buy a solution. The parking brake I built is way better than the Lokar or Gennie that would have solved the problem, but it was sure a struggle.

Here's a couple pics of the completed parking brake.

Attachments

• 1 finsished off.jpg
    1 finsished off.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 2 finished on.jpg
    2 finished on.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 92
Very nice, DJ. You know the pressure is on, we don't want to see parts you (or anybody can) buy, we want the see your ideas and craftsmanship. Keep up the great work.

Thanks Bob W. Yeah, I'm pretty much anti-checkbook building. And yeah, it is a lot of pressure trying to keep up with all you guys! [cl Actually, the builds here are very inspiring. Folks here actually build and finish projects that aren't clones of a 1000 other rods!

I'm still trying to figure out how you can build 3 projects at one time. I need every square inch of shelf, floor and unneeded bench to put parts for just this one project. I can't imagine where parts for 3 projects would go.

Dan
I seriously spend hours on this board and still don't get everything read. I have completly missed this build and we are even neighbors. Well, after seeing what you do in your garage there is no way i want you to see what goes on in mine! :D You measure stuff and all that! I'm locking the doors and pulling down the shades.
295174-2.gif

I really love that concept of a birdcage Maserati in a rat truck skin.
402471-1.gif

Thanks, Bonehead. I just reviewed your build - again and I'm always impressed with your photos. One of the things you ( and a lot of others on this forum) do that I really struggle with, is keeping the theme of the build intact. When you're done, everything looks like it belongs.

I have a hard time not taking the easy way out, even though it doesn't really fit what I'm trying to build. On this build, I am resisting the urge to get out the check book (mostly because it's pretty empty) and buy a solution. The parking brake I built is way better than the Lokar or Gennie that would have solved the problem, but it was sure a struggle.

Here's a couple pics of the completed parking brake.

I don't think you are taking the easy way out on anything. I know what you mean about making everything look like it belongs. But you already have an idea of what you like and want. And you have probably seen the look you are after. Just takes some bucket time. That's where you turn a bucket over a few feet away from where you are working, and sit on it and stare back at the direction you are going. You are doing fine.

I have to agree with Bonehead , bucket time is as important as when you have a welder or grinder in your hand . I seem to have my best ideas when i'm standing in the shower trying to wake up... with five kids bathroom time is my only quiet time .

Bucket time! Yeah I've got so much bucket time, I had to put padding on the bucket. I've been bucketing the Parking brake for months and spent only 2 days making it. The grille / valance / bumper - needs something, I don't know what -it's the last major problem to solve, I hope. I keep taking showers, because that's where I get ideas, too, but so far, I just get clean.

I've decided I'm about 95% thinking; 5% building. Actually, the fun part is figuring it out. Having it become reality is .....ahhh, very satisfying (priceless might be getting a little trite).

Earthman, I'm an aspiring artist with a machinist background. I love making things without measuring, but it seems that those digital dial calipers are always within reach. Folks that can build stuff without measuring are my heros.

Thanks for all the encourgement.

I don't think you are taking the easy way out on anything. I know what you mean about making everything look like it belongs. But you already have an idea of what you like and want. And you have probably seen the look you are after. Just takes some bucket time. That's where you turn a bucket over a few feet away from where you are working, and sit on it and stare back at the direction you are going. You are doing fine.

I hear you on the bucket time. More than once my wife has asked why I just keep staring at it. "I'm not staring, I'm working!":D

I see alot of shop pics with chairs--Valuable 'tool'.

(Also good place for nappin)

PA41

DJ, Thank you for the introduction to the forum. I have started posting pictures and history on the fire truck. If you have an opportunity, take a look; suggestions, comments, criticism welcome. Don't know if I am including too much, or not enough, information.

Really like your posts and pictures. But the pictures and narration still don't do it justice. Someone would have to see it in person to really appreciate what you have done.

Latest posts

Back