F-2 Stang

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan,

I cut and pasted a reply from my thread, a little background on the components in your F-2stang.

DJ

The Capri cum Mustang you are using the SVO components from, was first purchased by me around 1989 for $3600, in Colorado, to go SCCA autocrossing. It had about 40k miles as I remember. I drove it for two weeks and then started tearing it down and buying SVO components to build it back up.

Got to be on 1st name basis with the parts guy at Western Slope Ford. $14,000 later I had accumulated all the suspension goodies, body parts, a new HO roller 302, and a lot of other items (wheels/tires, headers, cage, etc.) for the build. About that time I found out I could go racing on real tracks, not just autocrossing, if I owned a Porsche.

So, for the next 8 years or so, all I did was build and race Porsches. The Capri and pile of parts sat collecting dust in a corner of the shop. After storing and moving it for 14 years I sold it all to Doug for $4,000. He put in a driveline and exhaust, hooked up the brakes, tuned it up called it a Mercstang and occasionally drove it around Phoenix for a few years until you bought it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Sweet!! A rat with papers!

That build has 'Sports Car' stamped all over it, now its got Creds...

Cool ..

PA41
Super Member Join Date: Dec 2008

bump stop

Here's my new technique for laying out the size and spacing of the lightening holes. I know there are probably some mathimatical formuli, but I've been using a drafting template and trial and error.

Photo 1 shows some holes (ironworker punchouts) and arranged on the part to get a good visual of size and spacing.

Attachments

• 2 BstpWeld.jpg
    2 BstpWeld.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 3 Bstpon frame.jpg
    3 Bstpon frame.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 98
  • 1 BSp layout.jpg
    1 BSp layout.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 87
Frame photos

I pulled the cab off the frame. Here's some more photos of the frame. There are still a few braces and gussets not installed.

Forklifts really come in handy.

Attachments

• 1 cab off.jpg
    1 cab off.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 2 frame.jpg
    2 frame.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 3 frame det.jpg
    3 frame det.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 4 loading.jpg
    4 loading.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 106
  • 5 front view.jpg
    5 front view.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 124
Rear suspension

Photos 1 and 2 show the coilover mounts. Changing the angle of the coilover effectivly changes the spring rate. So, i have three different spring rates with one set of springs.

I used the triangulated 4 link mounts that were on the Ford SVO diff. To get the front mounting points I downloaded a 4 link calculator from Power TV's Extreme 4 X 4 website. I decided some adjustablility might be in order, so the are 5 holes on the bottom link and 2 on the upper link. I read that one problem the Fox bodies have is that the links aren't long enough to prevent wheel hop, so I made mine longer.

Triangulated 4 links need to rotate about the axis of the links. The factory relies on the compliance of the soft rubber bushings to allow the rotation. Replacing the rubber bushings with urethane effectively locks the wheels to the body - Very Exciting! To solve this problem I used spherical rod ends on the frame end (and kept the urethane on the diff).

Attachments

• 5 det link2.jpg
    5 det link2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 80
  • 4 det link.jpg
    4 det link.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 93
  • 3 4 link.jpg
    3 4 link.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 87
  • 2 rr shock brkt.jpg
    2 rr shock brkt.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 107
  • 1 rear shock mount.jpg
    1 rear shock mount.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 83
Rear sway bar

The round tube lower links lowered the height of the sway bar. The center was 2" below the pumpkin. I heated and reshaped the bar to move it higher.
And since this Rat is quite a bit lighter than the Mustang, I moved it forward.

Blacksmiths got cool stuff to bend with! That platen weighs 5000 pounds, so it's almost welded to the floor.

Disclaimer: I'm not sure it's a good idea (or a bad idea for that matter) to heat and bend a sway bar. The worst that can happen (I hope) is that I take a hard corner and it bends?

I've got a lot of welding to do, so this is probably all the new stuff for a while.

Dan

Attachments

• 10 heat.jpg
    10 heat.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 85
  • 20 bend.jpg
    20 bend.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 30 mock up.jpg
    30 mock up.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 80
  • 40 brkt.jpg
    40 brkt.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 74
Any new progress to report? All that goofing off doing other things can't be good for you. You might decide you like that better than working in the shop.

I've been making progress, but nothing that shows. I'm not quite sure where to quit with braces and gussets. I'm starting to feel like the frame is way overbuilt as it is.

I got some custom front brake lines made, so I can install the brackets and run the brake lines. I bought a little AGM battery and I'm working (at least mentally) on the battery box and location. Both of those ate a bunch of the budget.

I'm ready for the rotisserie, as soon as I have a chance to get them.

The Grand Nats were great and I have a bunch of photos to post as soon as I can figure out how.

Yeah--the devils in the details. I'll work 2-3 weeks and can't see I did anything.. (well--sometimes might be because I DIDN'T do anything) But lots of this stuff is not much more than just work. Fun work--but work.

PA41.

Yeah--the devils in the details. I'll work 2-3 weeks and can't see I did anything.. (well--sometimes might be because I DIDN'T do anything) But lots of this stuff is not much more than just work. Fun work--but work.

PA41.

That's exactly right. It's getting pretty tedious. l keep finding welds I don't like and I'm having to grind them out and redo. I'm not sure I'm actually having fun right now.

man.. your frame looks great... its cool to see it with the cab off.. we get to see all your hard work..

Rotisserie

K (Truckster) came by last week and brought the community rotisserie and some encouragment. Got me out of the funk I was in and moving forward.

Forklifts are a huge help (photo 1)

The rotisserie is two modified HF engine stands (total cost $70). I built it to use on the '53 3100 frame. I think it works pretty well and is easy to store (especially when it is at someone else's house).

The last photo is a finished stiffening plate just behind the firewall. It will show under the body.

i have been welding for a week. i hope to have it back on the ground next week.

Attachments

• Rot1.jpg
    Rot1.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 118
  • Rot2.jpg
    Rot2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 123
  • rot3.jpg
    rot3.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 102
  • rot4.jpg
    rot4.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 111
  • rot5.jpg
    rot5.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 103
Uh-Oh now I'm gonna need a forklift. Thats the problem with seeing other fellas stuff- I never knew I NEEDED so much!!

That rotissery is sweet--beats flipping the frame around on the floor..

I got a bad tool jones.. I've got a bunch --All I need now is the SKILL-- to work them.

Thanks for the tour. That frames a killer.

PA41

I now have over 7 days of working the frame on the rotisserie. Most of that is welding, some is grinding out welds I didn't like and some is adding parts.

I did a rough part count and the frame has over 200 pieces. (I have an amazing ability to make even simple things complex.) KISS is not in evidence here!

So, PA41, I think you're right, that frame is a killer -with me as the victim. Actually, I'm getting close to feeling like it is finished.

You have to be sure and take a picture of the rolling chassis when you get it back together. That frame is a monster. Your thread is like 12 tech threads in one.... with more to come. Thank you for taking the time to chronicle your build!

Do you have any full pictures of it with grill and cab? The only ones I found were close ups of the grill. Just wonder what how the front flows with the rest.

Looking good! Good to see some pictures again and an update. Keep on truckin'. I want a ride in it. Getting close to 20 years since I last drove the donor car.

Sam

I have about 300 pics. However, I seems like I don't have any of the whole thing. I didn't roll it outside and take photos. I'll work on that when I get it back on the ground.

K,

I'm flattered you want a ride. I didn't know you ever rode with anyone.
Target date: March 15 - maybe no body- but we'll be cruisin - you ready?

Attachments

• DSC01297.jpg
    DSC01297.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 107
  • DSC01307.jpg
    DSC01307.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC01353.jpg
    DSC01353.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 108

Latest posts

Back