Looking for some transmission advice....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillM

Good morning everyone…..seems I ask more questions around here then I can answer, but I promise to make it up to you all some day!

I’m looking for a little advice…….I’m currently building a ’28 Graham 5 window coupe. My plans are for a fenderless, hoodless light little car. I have a small block Chev, tunnel ram with a 2-4 barrel setup. I have a TH 350 that I had planned to use as the tranny, but a friend cautioned me on the weekend that with such a light little car, it’s going to get all squirrelly on me at shift points………he said I should be looking around for a 2 speed powerglide – he figured it would be a lot more “driveable”……..

Any thoughts or advice out there?

Thanks in advance.

Bill.

You will be just fine with what you got. The most popular combo is a 350-350 even in a T Bucket, it won't get squriley with a normal gear change. Run it wide open and anything is possible, even with a glide.

Run what you got, you'll be fine.

Bill, it doesn't matter if its a P/G, Turbo 350, C4 Ford, 727 Mopar, unless you modify the valve body/change the valve body to alter the shift points, and firmness of the shifts of the tranny, or even a adjustable vaccuum modulator set for super firm shifts, you will be fine. Like already stated 350/350 is thee most popular combo out there. Leave the P/G to the racers {me}, or the real old traditionalist's.

I agree with everything said above. Your Buddy doesn't know what he is talking about. The TH350 is the all time favorite hot rod/street rod transmission. I have one in my 23 and it is perfect, even in that short wheelbase/ light car application.

You wouldn't like the way PG's drop rpms between first and high.

Don

Thanks so much guys! It's amazing how much knowledge and support there is out there.......what a fantastic site we have here!!!

Good morning everyone…..seems I ask more questions around here then I can answer, but I promise to make it up to you all some day!

I’m looking for a little advice…….I’m currently building a ’28 Graham 5 window coupe. My plans are for a fenderless, hoodless light little car. I have a small block Chev, tunnel ram with a 2-4 barrel setup. I have a TH 350 that I had planned to use as the tranny, but a friend cautioned me on the weekend that with such a light little car, it’s going to get all squirrelly on me at shift points………he said I should be looking around for a 2 speed powerglide – he figured it would be a lot more “driveable”……..

Any thoughts or advice out there?

Thanks in advance.

Bill.
......Like a PowerGlide never got a car squirrelly on the shift:rolleyes:

As these guys said, you can adjust the firmness. You could also adjust it with your driving style. Mind your foot-LOL

Pookie, I run a dyno tested JW PERFORMANCE P/G 1:76 first, hardened Turbo input, billet steel clutch hub, all Kevlar disc's, full manual ONLY valve body, and a full JW bag of tricks in my 26, 500 H.P. and 1600 pounds, 3500 stall converter, so your sayin I probably shouldn't let him drive it huh?:eek::rolleyes::D[S:confused:[cl

Pookie, I run a dyno tested JW PERFORMANCE P/G 1:76 first, hardened Turbo input, billet steel clutch hub, all Kevlar disc's, full manual ONLY valve body, and a full JW bag of tricks in my 26, 500 H.P. and 1600 pounds, 3500 stall converter, so your sayin I probably shouldn't let him drive it huh?:eek::rolleyes::D[S:confused:[cl
I have my trans in my truck hitting HARD on each shift. Heck when you put it in gear it feels like ya got slammed in the arse by a Mack truck. But it has full Billet internals, Input, Intermediate,hub/drum and output shafts ect. :D

THATS WHAT IM TALKIN ABOUT, a tranny set up for when you get home call the chiropractor kinda shifts, yea baby.:D[cl:eek:

Latest posts

Back