No other like it.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I called and ordered the rebuild parts today. The rebuild kit for the vaporizer costs half of what a whole new unit would cost. I told him it said "Imperial" on it and he said it had to be at least 40 years old because they changed to "IMPCO" in 1967.
c88613b7.jpg

I checked out their website and they have a little history about the company. This 300A model was the first model made starting in 1958 and of course they still make it. They used to race these systems at the salt flats and pikes peak in the 40s and 50s.

I got the same Imperial system on my 92 350 in my 95 truck. It had been laying in a barn with cats peeing on it since 1984. It was probly off an early 60's model. Little bit of WD40 to kleen and take apart and I didn't even have to put any new parts in.

The new Impco stuff will fit right on the Imperial.

Are you gonna run a 4 barrell intake?

By the way, does anyone suggest that I make the pictures smaller or use thumbnails or something?

how are you getting them big? the only way i can do that is to download an attatchment then use the address of the attatchment on the rrr site in the picture address in the rrr word processor.

how are you getting them big? the only way i can do that is to download an attatchment then use the address of the attatchment on the rrr site in the picture address in the rrr word processor.

Photobucket.

There's an iPhone app. I take all the pictures on my iPhone and upload them to photobucket, and now with my new iPhone 4S voice recognition I don't even have to type. I'm in the garage right now working on my rod and can upload pictures without even going inside.:D

They just come out this size.

be23b524.jpg

I made some progress. I got the other head that I found at the junkyard put on. I put the exhaust manifold on. I also started putting this other little thing on…
c6155f96.jpg

I like it!! Keep it up and if it doesn't work then uve got all the parts u need to put it on a square frame.

I like the ingenuity of using the 4wd axle. Good eyes. Post more pix of stuff...

I got the same Imperial system on my 92 350 in my 95 truck. It had been laying in a barn with cats peeing on it since 1984. It was probly off an early 60's model. Little bit of WD40 to kleen and take apart and I didn't even have to put any new parts in.

The new Impco stuff will fit right on the Imperial.

Are you gonna run a 4 barrell intake?

I took everything apart and it all looks pretty good and intact, but I didn't want to take any chances on it working right. The head on this engine has been integrated intake manifold, which is a two barrel. I'm putting a turbo on it which will be fed by a four barrel, and I'm fabricating everything for it. I've never used propane before, I've never used a turbo before, I've never built an exhaust before, and I've never made inlet ducting stuff before. So it will be fun. [;)

I took everything apart and it all looks pretty good and intact, but I didn't want to take any chances on it working right. The head on this engine has been integrated intake manifold, which is a two barrel. I'm putting a turbo on it which will be fed by a four barrel, and I'm fabricating everything for it. I've never used propane before, I've never used a turbo before, I've never built an exhaust before, and I've never made inlet ducting stuff before. So it will be fun. [;)

I think that mixer will be hard to hook up a turbo. The CA- model mixers are much more compatible and fairly cheap. The fuel line and air intake are separated on the CA- models. When you put the turbo hat, (inlet ducting stuff) on the dual fuel mixer you have, you wont be able to reach the air fuel adjustment in the top center and you will have to run your skunk line, (fuel line), into your turbo hat. I guess you could make a banjo box with an air-horn tip, (inlet ducting stuff) and leave the top of your mixer exposed for your skunk line hook up.

I think that mixer will be hard to hook up a turbo. The CA- model mixers are much more compatible and fairly cheap. The fuel line and air intake are separated on the CA- models. When you put the turbo hat, (inlet ducting stuff) on the dual fuel mixer you have, you wont be able to reach the air fuel adjustment in the top center and you will have to run your skunk line, (fuel line), into your turbo hat. I guess you could make a banjo box with an air-horn tip, (inlet ducting stuff) and leave the top of your mixer exposed for your skunk line hook up.

or, draw through... ;)

One question: Was the PBR bottle part of the rebuild kit? :D

Nice work...I'll be interested to see how it all comes together. Keep the updates coming!

-Troy

One question: Was the PBR bottle part of the rebuild kit? :D

-Troy

wow! Good eye. That bottle is actually sort of a "bench decoration", it's unopened and has been there for about two years.

Anyhow, I almost forgot to post this. It's from a couple weeks ago when I was building the exhaust manifold.
This is why some people wear face shields.
7b4e64d7.jpg

At least I was wearing safety glasses.
Of course, I had to get a picture of it before pulling it out.

I figured it was just a piercing...LOL

Looks like it hurt....yeah, gotta be careful.....this is coming from a guy who's hands look like a battle ground of nicks and scratchs....I don't know about you guys but I absolutely hate wearing gloves....I just can't work with them....I've tried the nitrile ones, mech gloves....I hate them...got no feeling thru them...JMHO.....:D

Man I wish! School has been eatin up all of my free free-time. Between that and work, I just can't get to it. Spring break is coming, I have a goal - to get it running and steering by the end of spring break. Pictures will be posted.

Okay, I've made progress.

Many thanks to DJ3100 for helping me out with making my steering wheel fit. The one I wanted to use had the wrong size hole and wrong spline. He bored out the center, and used a center from a different wheel. He turned the new hub down on the lathe, slipped it in and welded it up. So I was able to fit the steering shaft and steering box, and therefore finish the drag link. My steering is pretty much done now. Unless it changes![S

56e6adfb.jpg

I'll get some pictures of the column and wheel in the cab later today when I get off work. In the mean time I'm gonna make somebody push me down the street so I can sit in it and steer while making engine noises.

0a58b10a.jpg

85b8fb0c.jpg

My camera really seems to be throwing the perspective way off. :confused: Oh well.

Nope.....Camera is fine.....

Many thanks to DJ3100 for helping me out with making my steering wheel fit. The one I wanted to use had the wrong size hole and wrong spline. He bored out the center, and used a center from a different wheel. He turned the new hub down on the lathe, slipped it in and welded it up. So I was able to fit the steering shaft and steering box, and therefore finish the drag link. My steering is pretty much done now. Unless it changes![S

56e6adfb.jpg

I'll get some pictures of the column and wheel in the cab later today when I get off work. In the mean time I'm gonna make somebody push me down the street so I can sit in it and steer while making engine noises.

0a58b10a.jpg

85b8fb0c.jpg

My camera really seems to be throwing the perspective way off. :confused: Oh well.

Everything is just HUGE!!! Seriously, looks pretty cool and nice job on the wheel.....[cl

Latest posts

Back