Overkill Magazine.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's not a bad mag but I had to laugh, it's supposed to be a magazine about regular guys homebuilt cars and the very first one was a car built by a shop. Another guy used a Morrison frame. Really, a $15K frame and that's home built? I don't see it making it because there's never been a mag that didn't have any ads that has ever made it. They say the mag will live or die at the news stand. D'oh! :eek:

Toad

It's not a bad mag but I had to laugh, it's supposed to be a magazine about regular guys homebuilt cars and the very first one was a car built by a shop. Another guy used a Morrison frame. Really, a $15K frame and that's home built? I don't see it making it because there's never been a mag that didn't have any ads that has ever made it. They say the mag will live or die at the news stand. D'oh! :eek:

Toad

Home built, not made... lol

I don't see it making it because there's never been a mag that didn't have any ads that has ever made it. They say the mag will live or die at the news stand. D'oh! :eek:

Toad

I think Rebel Rodz tried that last year and it didn't make it! I sort of liked the mag but with no advertising it was doomed from the start! Oh yeah, think it was called Amusin' Crusin' or something like that. You would think the Hot Rod Magazine group would know better! [S

Zipper

I grabbed a copy last week, i like every car in it! I think each car is right down my ally of what i like to build. I picked it up again yesterday to find out how to subscribe but they are not sure if they will run it again.. There are a lot of detail work in those cars that i think push the bar up a notch in the industry. I just found this topic on this forum when i googled the magazine to try and find out how to subscribe and got to read the closed topic on the H&mb about this magazine which again putting a high quality build out there that defeats their beliefs in every way and leaves their own members fighting each other about the acceptance of the cars in that magazine was amusing to read about. I believe every car in it challenges their beliefs that rat rods are thrown together death traps... but how i ask when these cars portrayed here are built better with updated braking systems, updated steering systems, and updated suspensions that would wax their traditional asses in any road test on stopping, cornering,ext. Some said they wouldnt buy it because they dont care to see the tattooed chicks lol there were no models i recall on any of the cars or in the entire mag! OH and it was published by Hot Rod Magazine.......Can this be? Those guys keep harping the same thing every year "Rat Rods are finally dying out thank god!" Then why did Hot Rod Magazine finally attempt to conform? I think Traditional is finally dying out however dont get me wrong i would love to build a tradtional hot rod one day i just would like to wait until traditionalist wasnt so judgmental on what is accepted as traditional and i think Hot Rod magazine is attempting to open that door and blend a culture. Check out this Mag!

I just found this topic on this forum when i googled the magazine to try and find out how to subscribe and got to read the closed topic on the H&mb about this magazine which again putting a high quality build out there that defeats their beliefs in every way and leaves their own members fighting each other about the acceptance of the cars in that magazine was amusing to read about.

After seeing all the goofy motors that were in so many of those cars you were suprised that the PORK would have a fit.

My main problem with the mag iis they're trying to say these are just regular guys cars! NOT! Looks like rejects for Hot Rod's mag!

Don't get me wrong, i like some of the cars but don't really see myself building many of them.

Zipper

I saw that mag on the stand at Target when I was passing by. Didnt have time to grab it then, wanting to go back and pick up a copy. sounds like its worth checking out.
I too dont care for reading through an article thats a list of shops that built the car but at the same time these owners still have an interest in cars like we do just dont have the ability to do the work themselves.

I picked up a copy yesterday. I have to say that while I like the models, ads, shows, and culture in the other mags, it's nice to have one with just photos of the cars and a few words about each one. Some cool stuff in there!

I liked the magazine but I am biased. I helped build the truck on pages 86-89. It wasn't built in any shop. It was built by my buddy and I in a driveway at his house covered by a car tent. It's also not a trailer queen. He drives the tires off of it towing a trailer. The photographers found us at the Hot Rod Reunion in 2011 and did a photo shoot of his truck specifically for this magazine.

Keith

I liked the magazine but I am biased. I helped build the truck on pages 86-89. It wasn't built in any shop. It was built by my buddy and I in a driveway at his house covered by a car tent. It's also not a trailer queen. He drives the tires off of it towing a trailer. The photographers found us at the Hot Rod Reunion in 2011 and did a photo shoot of his truck specifically for this magazine.

Keith

Yep, that's probably my favorite one in the mag. I watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45UW9rrUbhc of you and Norm at least once a week [cl Always loved the running board bed on your truck. :cool:

I would imagine

the pictures and stories are the easy part of a magazine and working with all the different companies selling add space and working with deadlines and such is the difficult part.
I wonder if the Hot Rod magazine group is just testing the waters with Overkill and no ads?
I suppose they could sell plenty of ads for upcoming issues if they could show the interest by selling a gazillion issues first.[S

They say right in the magazine that with no ads and a focus on the stories and the photography that the success of it will rise and fall with newsstand sales. I take that to mean if it survives it won't have ads.

This thread just reminded me that one of my kids bought me a copy for Xmas.....might have a look someday

If you don't want to keep it, that's my best friend's Nash on the cover and I can't seem to find a copy.....

After seeing all the goofy motors that were in so many of those cars you were suprised that the PORK would have a fit.

My main problem with the mag iis they're trying to say these are just regular guys cars! NOT! Looks like rejects for Hot Rod's mag!

Don't get me wrong, i like some of the cars but don't really see myself building many of them.

Zipper

Well, the Nash they put on the cover was built by a regular guy in his garage, including the paint done by another friend, TomCat. I watched him do all the fab work, layout etc. Granted Todd can build some nice cars in his garage and that is his hobby and it wasn't his first car build.

Seems like it took him about 6 months to build it.

This sat in my back yard for a month maybe two, made great yard art actually.

IMAG0151.jpg

Then he turned it into this monster...

IMG_20120809_180420.jpg

Yo Rusty, I had a hell of a time finding an issue too, but my wife found three issues at the CVS next to Safeway on Cypress and Churn Creek. She stashed two copies behind other mags, maybe they are still there!

Yo Rusty, I had a hell of a time finding an issue too, but my wife found three issues at the CVS next to Safeway on Cypress and Churn Creek. She stashed two copies behind other mags, maybe they are still there!

Thanks I will check it out.

How is your build coming? I started putting Buick drums on the front of our coupe, everything is done except the special spacers I am having a local machinist friend make. He is doing them in his spare time, so you know how that goes....

Then he turned it into this monster...

IMG_20120809_180420.jpg

OMG that thing is a horrible but it should be the poster child for that magazine, "Overkill"! Like the old saying goes, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should"! I see it's for sale on eBay right now too. :eek:

Toad

They say right in the magazine that with no ads and a focus on the stories and the photography that the success of it will rise and fall with newsstand sales. I take that to mean if it survives it won't have ads.
Easy to see I was only looking at the pictures. I wonder what they'd do if all the advertisers / clients they already work with offered them money?

Latest posts

Back