My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp.....

Rear locator built, front shocks mounted, adjusted the cantilevers a little. Worked on cleaning up some of the electrical stuff. Routed the wiring nice, and tied it up. Started wiring the lights, rebuilt my dash piece to mount my headlight switch. Found one of my brake lines still has a small leak, but it wont be a big deal to fix. Been a busy couple of days.

The bad news is, I found out my tranny is leaking from more places than I thought. Looks to need a new output seal and selector shaft seal...... Not good. Putting a big crunch on my time.....

Well, seems like I am going to be right down to the deadline on time......

Dropped the windshield frame off at the glass shop yesterday, should be done friday. Got the seal in the rear of the trans, started trying to get the one for the selector shaft done, but can't get the linkage off [S. Finished up most of the dash work, did some of it in a hurry so it doesn't look that great.

2012-08-21_20-12-27_153.jpg

Everything electrically in the cab works except for the headlight switch. Landed all the wires to all the lights just need to finish them in the cab.

Got the grill back on, moved the headlights in a bit due to low riding and the wheels hitting the headlights.

Started horsing around a bit, made me a rear bumper.
2012-08-20_15-21-02_815.jpg

Then built a bed floor.
2012-08-21_20-07-15_457.jpg

Tightened up a lot of loose ends but nothing earth shattering.

Hopefully getting closer to something done and drivable......

The headlight switch is from a deuce and a half, picked it up from ebay for like $5. Most of the bed wood is weathered some, it is old pallets that I broke down.

The glass I am just getting the windshield for now. The Henderson glass here in Monroe is shut down. Went to a local mom and pop glass shop called Custer Glass. He is going to get it and put it in the frame for me for $75. I didn't think that was too bad.

The headlight switch is from a deuce and a half, picked it up from ebay for like $5. Most of the bed wood is weathered some, it is old pallets that I broke down.

The glass I am just getting the windshield for now. The Henderson glass here in Monroe is shut down. Went to a local mom and pop glass shop called Custer Glass. He is going to get it and put it in the frame for me for $75. I didn't think that was too bad.

Cool on the switch, were those 24V originally? Just curious.

$75 installed I guess ain't too bad. Probably $30ish just for the glass at $11 sf/ft

Cost of him to cut it is more than the glass. Said the two pieces of glass will be $34 then $40 for him to cut. So much to cut because of the shapes needed to fit the frame. He said normally it isn't that much for him to cut them. I didn't care because it was still cheaper than I figured.

The switch may have been 24V before, but a switch is a switch. You could use a light switch from your house if you wanted.

lookin good!!! I dig the headlight switch too-it's the little details that make all the difference. Sounds like you're gonna be cruzin soon-keep it up!

Cost of him to cut it is more than the glass. Said the two pieces of glass will be $34 then $40 for him to cut. So much to cut because of the shapes needed to fit the frame. He said normally it isn't that much for him to cut them. I didn't care because it was still cheaper than I figured.

The switch may have been 24V before, but a switch is a switch. You could use a light switch from your house if you wanted.

Yea, I think you have some corners that have small radii?

Yea, I know a switch is a switch, I was just curious about the voltage on the military stuff..

looks good to me.....

the switch is flat cool...... and don't you dare put some house switch anywhere in that ride.....LOL...

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.

Yea, I think you have some corners that have small radii?

Yea, I know a switch is a switch, I was just curious about the voltage on the military stuff..

Yea he wasn't thrilled about cutting the curves but said its doable.
Yes they were all 24v. The switch is a M-Series 3 lever. Saw it in a deuce, ordered one from ebay, got it for like $5. I really want the black out lights that were on those trucks too. I keep watching, but the funding isn't there to blow on needless stuff for it right now.

It all looks pretty nifty from here. Need some outside pix now.

I need to get it outside so I can take some pix.

anyway, back at it last night. Deciphered the headlight switch pins, sorted out what combination needs to be on to get what lights. Hung another road sign on the passenger side behind the seat to finish up the interior decor. Cleaned up some other odds and ends crap. Need to get the passenger door on and fix the last leak on the trans. Was thrilled yesterday when I found out I have to drop the valve body on the trans to get the selector shaft out so I can replace that seal. Book says its a 3 hour job :( .

Got to see the headlights on for the first time, went through and powered up most of the lights to test them.

Going to hit it again for a while tonight, and tomorrow morning. Going out of town this weekend so Hopefully now it will be ready to roll next week. Running out of time fast, I hate working with a deadline.

Headlight switch wired up, its kind of neat, almost like a combination lock to get the lights to work the way you want them too!!! :D Headlights and taillights both power up now!

Metered out the original turn signal switch so that can be wired up.

Started pulling apart the trans so I can do the last seal. Pulled the pan so it will drip out, going back after it tonight!

yea, not thrilled about tearing apart the trans, all I can say is way to go ford on that one........ :mad:

Fast running out of time, hoping to have it ALL buttoned up by the end of the week.....

Still haven't heard from the shop about my windshield, will be calling about it tomorrow. :(

Back at it the last couple days. Finished taking apart the trans to replace the seal. Got that done and started putting it back together. Then tragedy struck. As I was torquing down the pan bolts the threads pulled out of one of the bolts. Going to try and drill and tap it out a size bigger and hope for the best. Put the dash back together with all the electrical in it, Did a little finish welding on a couple spots, tightened a few things down in an attempt to get it ready to set back on the ground, did a couple more small things (mounted horn, put passenger door back on, etc...). And the last thing. Beings the fact that I work in a glass factory I must say, this is the first time I have been excited to see a piece of glass.....

2012-08-29_17-24-16_876.jpg

That looks damn good man! Nice work.

On the pulled threads, can you heli-coil it? I've used them a couple times in a pinch and they worked great.

Latest posts

Back