My 41 Dodge

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp, was a busy last couple days. Panhard kits showed up, but no tube on hand to build them yet. Finished up the rear frame, complete with hitch should I ever get my camper built.

2012-08-06_16-31-40_671.jpg

Got the window frame bolted together, cleaned it up and blew a little paint on it. Also made myself a tilt device.

2012-08-07_16-39-37_916.jpg

Put the visor back on. Attempted to bolt the doors back on but going to have to get out the taps and chase the threads. Bolts were not going in as well as planned. I did get the passenger floor done, and bolted in the passenger seat, but no pics of that. Also spent some time on electrical, upgraded my alternator wire for the 150A alternator it is now 4AWG which should get the job done. Started routing some cables and cutting some wire, but nothing to show for that either. Still need to figure out that pesky fan thing..... [S

Oh well, more to come!

Neverdone-had a chance to read through this build thread-awesome truck!!I can't wait to really dig into my project-37 GMC. Threads like yours help give me ideas on how to do the whole chop top thing-this will be my first attempt.

Thanks Tattoodfreak!!! Hopefully some of my screw ups will help you to not make them!!

My advice to you on doing a chop top, and a few things I learned........

-mark it, check then recheck, then check two more times to make sure that is what you want. It is much easier to change a line than a cut. Test fit with the seats in at height, on the brackets, and how you are going to ride. Make sure you aren't going to whack your head if you hit a bump, or that you won't have to slouch the whole time you are riding down the road.

-Brace the cab before cutting. If you think you have enough bracing in the cab, put two to five more braces in and you probably have it.

-if you choose to take the route I did and slant the pillars, do more pie cuts in it than what I did. In the end I put in quite a few, but should have done more. The pictures do not show everything.

-also if you are going to slant the pillars remove the dash first, it will make things much easier.

-spend time and make sure you have the roof lined up as best as you can. Set up a lift to raise and lower the roof, you will probably lift it off a dozen or two dozen times before you get a good fit.

-a cheap flux core welder won't do a nice job.

-don't be afraid to ask questions.

not much done last night. Continued on with some electrical and spent a lot of time getting my drivers door to open and close the way I want. The body lines don't line up as well as I would like, but if I could get some new door bushings I think it would be just fine. Started building my panhards, but didn't get far. And blew some more paint on some of the fresh built stuff.

Thanks for the tips-when I get ready to my chop I plan on re-reading everything. This is the first site I've ever joined-you guys are great-very friendly and helpful.

Well? test drive yet?[S[S[S

As I pulled in to Baker's Welding supply yesterday, all those hopes flew out the window. :( :( :( :( :(

They had a big sign up that says "Starting August 1 we will be closed on Sundays"

No Argon means no welding means no rear track bar or test drive.......

I did however get most of the electrical done, mounted the front bag valves, hooked up the bag gauges in the front, shortened and cleaned up all the brake lines in the front, and fixed the broken rear line. Still need to bleed the brakes yet. Somewhere over the last couple days I have developed a pretty big air leak, need to find that, and I need to get a fan in it.

Hopefully by mid week I will go for a ride.

As I pulled in to Baker's Welding supply yesterday, all those hopes flew out the window. :( :( :( :( :(

They had a big sign up that says "Starting August 1 we will be closed on Sundays"

No Argon means no welding means no rear track bar or test drive.......

I did however get most of the electrical done, mounted the front bag valves, hooked up the bag gauges in the front, shortened and cleaned up all the brake lines in the front, and fixed the broken rear line. Still need to bleed the brakes yet. Somewhere over the last couple days I have developed a pretty big air leak, need to find that, and I need to get a fan in it.

Hopefully by mid week I will go for a ride.

Ugh, sometimes I hate the welding supply stores... However, now I keep an eye on my gauges as I think the local one I use is closed on the weekends altogether.

Good work on the wiring, air leak... hmmm I guess teh bags don't stay too full with a leak eh? :(

Latest posts

Back