Thinking about it...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a rusty old 67 my dad has, I'm thinking about buying it from him and having some fun with it. Maybe its just me, but I haven't seen too many Chevelle rats. Thought this would be an easy build for a guy like me without a lot of experience.

Bad idea?

chev1.jpg

Steve, you asked, so I am going to give you my opinion. If you are serious about the ratrodmagazine thing, then I think you should build up a ratter rat than that. A Chevelle is a hotrod/ muscle car generally, and I have no doubt you could make it into a rat. But it is not a classic rat. There are cars that lend themselves better to fit in the loose definition of a rat rod. That one is not one of them. Very cool car at any rate.

Couldn't find a front pic of this one, but you get the idea.

IMGP6833.jpg

Flat black tiger stripes over the original purple paint (maybe fade away front to back - the entire car might be too much), gloss white rims and lower it..... a lot.

Hmm.. interesting. I like the Econoline idea, seems crazy.

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

My dad (It makes me feel young to say that) he's the builder, I'm more of an admirer - but I'd like to start building with my son. I know chevy engines fairly well, so I was just thinking it would be easy to work with a Chevelle. I'm a rookie for sure.

Toad - good point. My dad has had many rods, of many styles... but maybe we should build a mascot car for the magazine.

Good stuff.

I'll have to agree with Bonehead. Those 66-67 Chevelles are just too cool as Hotrods/Musclecar/Street Machines. Get something older and do a build for your magazine. Old trucks are cheap and easy.

:Dl have a 66 chevelle and no what matter shape it is in, it will never be a true rat rod.

in my opinion a rat has to 20's to early 40's car or a truck up 1954 or so.

later

Well, you guys changed my mind. Chevelle = no.

My dad has a 74 chevy van, a shorty... already partially rodded out, been sitting for years. We're talking about making this our project car for the magazine. Kind of a mascot of sorts. Its already a patchwork project, so maybe this will make a good rat.

A '74 Van is even worse, for this project to represent your rag you really need it to be a Rat of Rats build...just think if Penthouse had Roseanne Barr on the cover.

I think the van would be cool just get a rat painted on the side. I remember years ago a van with a chopper painted on it using the wheel as the chopper wheels. One side a sedan the other side a bobber truck.

How many magazines and show booths are you going to able to haul across the country in a basic stripped down rat rod. Now with the van you could always trailer a driver rat rod to where ever you want to go. Set up your display drive your rat and sell your mag what can be better than that for a advertisement.Hell you can sleep in the van if you want.

We want it to be different... something that truly came from my dad's yard, pieced together from the scrap pile. I know, it won't be the typical rat - but it will hopefully be an interesting project.

He wants to move the engine to the back and do some other strange stuff to it... it may be a trainwreck, who knows. It'll be unique though!

Maybe I should quantify the van idea with the fact that my dad collects vans. I'm not sure why... the shorty is really a cool looking oddity though. It was on fire once, has lots of character, and has been sitting a LONG time, all gutted out like a skeleton. I'll get some pictures of it.

Good point about haulin stuff around and sleeping in it... pretty functional idea. This one is fairly small though, we'd still need to trailer-up I'm sure.

If he collects them use a long wheel base for the mobile office. Cut chop channel rear engine pro street rat rod the other one. They say the van thing is coming back.

that is an excelent point. search some salvage yards. or my favorite, old fiels of farmers. if ur gonna do a rat, make it a pre 1950 something (preferably a truck) cause thats what MOST rats are. 1960 seems to be an agreeable cut off date though.

Be careful trying to build a car by consensus!

Pretty soon it turns into a billet & chrome 32 with a $25,000 paint job. Nothing wrong with that, but it isn't a rat.

Rattin' isn't about cubic $$, it has more to do with originality and creativity IMO. Helps mightily if it ends up looking good.

Remember: half the people you know are below average

This is a rusty old 67 my dad has, I'm thinking about buying it from him and having some fun with it. Maybe its just me, but I haven't seen too many Chevelle rats. Thought this would be an easy build for a guy like me without a lot of experience.

Bad idea?

chev1.jpg

that would be a terrible idea, you have to restore it....:mad:

Latest posts

Back