1949 Ford F6 stakebody...rat?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
awesome truck, most people would just yank the cab and build a small truck, props on keeping the original frame, that's going to be wild.

Really cool truck . Its going to be wicked cool when your finished!

I have been watching the build on another site.It is coming out nice.On the front.Where you cut the frame.Are you going to box it in.I personally think it needs more support in that area.Just my .02 cents.Other than that you are making some progress.

thats joe im trying to keep that big truck feel but go with the look of a hoodless/fenderless 29 ish tudor sedan

Looking good.. :D

I wanted to do something like this with a 39-47 Dodge that I know of that is a dump truck.. I wanted to make it nice and low, remove the dump body, but keep the hydraulics and make a car hauler out of it.. :p

i bartered for my new project in the winter of 04/05
197? - 198? Toyota 4X4 steering box (manual or power undecided)
Truck will be straight "RAT"

:toyotaguyinfo:
If your looking for a 'push pull' box, the 78-85 mini truck box will work. But with the weight your putting on it, its gonig to be hard on it. (not sure what your wheel/tire plans are) You might want to go to an Fj60 or FJ80 stearing box, a bit more beef, but more $$ The pickup boxs can be had for under 100 usualy at a JY the other ones are 200+ typicaly. Unless you can find a rust bucket.

If your looking for a 'swing' box, the box from a 86-94 IFS truck one will work. The later ones are a bit stronger, and they can be tapped for hydro assist. Typicaly go for about 100 bucks.

Freeking awsome project BTW. :cool:

i think im looking for the "push pull" yota mini box from what i understand it will work with the factory ford bonus built pitman arm

i think im looking for the "push pull" yota mini box from what i understand it will work with the factory ford bonus built pitman arm

Ok cool, yea any of those will work, the ball and socket for the pitman arms are all the same size. I would try to grab the lines also, you can bring them to napa and have standard ends crimped on to adapt to an american pump :cool: Most pumps will have plenty of juce to push these boxes.

wildman - u think that box has enough power to turn 30 bias plys??? and are u suggesting using a american pump and the power yota box???

earthman - i plan on running an almost completely stock 239 flathead v-8, only possible upgrade right now is to shave the head .020 and maybe a slingshot 2 carb adapter...

$0 build

the 1/4" steel for the frame was worked off no cash exchanged
i got the truck in exchange for stolen goods i had promission to steal
only thing i plan on spending money on is wiring, paint, steering box maybe machine wook and that carb adapter

wildman - u think that box has enough power to turn 30 bias plys??? and are u suggesting using a american pump and the power yota box???

Sorry didnt realize you posted,
I totaly agree Low budget builds are the best! :cool:

I am 99% sure the box will have enough power to push those tires, I know guys running 35in swamers with them and the boxes hold up just fine. Its the stearing components themselves that dont. The J arm in the toy stearing system tends to sheer off. I would assume that a 1.5ton truck wouldnt have this problem.

What are you planning to run for power? That would be the deciding factor for me, how easy/cheep the pump would be to adapt to the powerplant. The toyota PS pump can be tweeked a bit to give it more GPM and PSI (without blowing seals) I run a modified one on my Landcrusier with a pushpull mini truck box, works fine for 33X12.5 mud tires. :cool:

bonehead youtube "supersize rat rod" ull see a big ol ford military truck dont rat style

k guys quick update i finished boxing the frame on the drivers side from the "z" up to the engine mounts on the drivers side

the pass side is giving me heck because of the frame being "whooped" up in one spot ... i looks like someone hooked a chain to it and pulled up and out on the frame

so i might try and heat that and hammer it flat again before i try boxing it agian

Nice job!

Looking cool man!
I've got two 49 F5's or 6's(not sure) comming to me soon and didn't really have any idea what I was going to do with them.You have put a huge spark of interest in me now and gave me a few ideas!One of the trucks is a dump truck and the other has a 16 ft. flat bed on it.Both run !
Keep us posted and keep up the good work !Very cool off the wall project!

Latest posts

Back