'50 GMC Daily Driver

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We "rust belt" inhabitants should not bother starting with a car or truck but just build a body out of 100% patch panels.

2008_0614box0001.jpg

Willowbilly3 is going to laugh at this because he is surrounded by nice Chevy trucks and parts. But, I'm thrilled that I found the front clip pictured, hood, rear fenders, doors, and runningboards that are so nice that no patch panels will be needed. All the tin has been stored indoors since 1980. It was on Craigslist and cost $300.

2008_0908box0001.jpg

Summer is over in the great Northland. There will be some nice fall days. But, building time is here. 9 months of garage time. I dragged the frame in and cut all the unneeded junk off of it. Then I cut the G body subframe and capped the ends. The truck frame was cut to allow the front wheels to be a half inch farther forward than original. It is supposed to center in the wheel opening in the fender better.

2008_0908box0003.jpg

Its pretty ugly from the front. This could never be a fenderless build with the massive crossmember and A arms.

2008_0908box0002.jpg

Here you can see the misalignment between the subframe and the truck frame. A trip to the steel yard tomorrow for 1/8" plate will allow me to tie it all together. I went to the junkyard today and measured the A arm inclination on a few G body cars so I would get the clip installed correctly. The A arms tilt back 10 degrees. I don't have good stock rear springs so I'm going to try to adapt some S-10 springs. They are about the same length. Lots of builders use the whole S-10 frame under these trucks so the rear springs should work out just fine. I have to be careful to nail the ride height though.

Last edited:
2008_0909box0001.jpg

Today I got the clip and the AD truck frame mated. First I boxed the end of the truck frame rails.

2008_0909box0002.jpg

I cut some rectangular tubing for frame end caps. Welded them in and ground it smooth so the clip would mate nicely.

2008_0909box0003.jpg

Using a come-along, a couple bottle jacks, two jack stands and two levels, I got the clip in the correct position. I mad sure the A arm anti-dive angle was correct, Then I welded the two together.

clip.jpg

Finished! Now, on to the rear to install S-10 leaf springs. I got into a bit of detail on the front clip install in case any RRR members might be considering doing the same thing.

Latest posts

Back