Perfect 46 Chevy truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
Since this is one of the most popular cabs to use, I thought I'd share this with those of you who might not get Street Rodder. To me, this is a perfect balance of proportions. Front not too long, bed not too short and a chop that is just right. Plus the rake is nailed dead on. I looked all over the web for a good side shot and couldn't find one, so sorry for the crappy scan. You can find other pictures of it if you search Tim Gunsalus.

Attachments

• Scan0011.jpg
    Scan0011.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 123
heck I don't mind the wheels...

But you are right....the rest is darn near perfect....(with exception of that plexi hood)...lol

Very nice, well balanced. Exactly what I have been saying for years. Lose the wire wheels and it would be nearly perfect. And I like the plexy hood!:D

Seen that truck in Detroit last year. Got to look it over real well and it's a nice example. Magazine photo makes it look a lot darker than I remember it, I think it was more of a charcoal grey in person. I have a 1945 cab waiting in the wings so it caught my eye as well. Willowbilly, I looked through my pictures and have these ones that I took at the time. I have a little crappy camera so if the lighting is a bit dim they come out fuzzy, maybe not the best, but might help.

Attachments

• 46 Chevy a-1.jpg
    46 Chevy a-1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 97
  • 46 Chevy b-1.jpg
    46 Chevy b-1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 91
  • 46 Chevy c1.jpg
    46 Chevy c1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 77
Thanks sniper. I found a lot of pictures of it online but no good sideshot.
I'm not a person of extremes so I find many rods get too much chop, set too low, get the bed shortened too much or the front extended too much. I'm kind of anal about it sometimes so I like it when I see a truck that fits my sense of balance.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. A lot of them get chopped, lengthened, etc to aggressively. But that's just my taste and idea of the proportions. I think I have a picture or two of a Chevy of the same vintage that's black and silver. It looks pretty good as well. I'll see if I can find them.

Not the pictures I was looking for but......a couple that I happen to like. I like the way the grill area was done on these two.

Attachments

• Chevy1.jpg
    Chevy1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 80
  • Primered-1.jpg
    Primered-1.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 73
Not the pictures I was looking for but......a couple that I happen to like. I like the way the grill area was done on these two.

If that one had the same stance as the one at the top of this thread it would be perfect. I don't like a lot of the details on the truck in the original post, but the stance and roof height are killer. What sniper posted looks way better, in terms of hood, grill, etc. I'm kind of partial to full-fendered 41-46 trucks though...

Since this is one of the most popular cabs to use, I thought I'd share this with those of you who might not get Street Rodder. To me, this is a perfect balance of proportions. Front not too long, bed not too short and a chop that is just right. Plus the rake is nailed dead on. I looked all over the web for a good side shot and couldn't find one, so sorry for the crappy scan. You can find other pictures of it if you search Tim Gunsalus.

Since you didn't say in your original post, which issue of Street Rodder is this from? Some of us might want to buy it :)

I think the length of the front end is where the proportions game is won or lost on these trucks. Of course, it all depends on your liking. I used a spring-behind front end on my truck which pushed the front out a little further than I anticipated, but I like where it landed.

Attachments

• photobucket-25632-1362959977647_zps74a513b5.jpg
    photobucket-25632-1362959977647_zps74a513b5.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 53
Mines a bit off, but all measured out equal when designing. Oh well, the next frame is going to be a bit shorter front and rear!

Attachments

• 46 (10).jpg
    46 (10).jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 44
Took a little while but I did come across the black and silver one I had mentioned in a previous post, (actually I found it while looking for something else). At any rate here are the pics I was referring to. The nose is a bit different, but it's not bad. I still like the modified original grill version though. But then that's just me.

Attachments

• 0604cct_01s+1944_Chevrolet_Highboy_Pickup+Front_Passenger_Side0.jpg
    0604cct_01s+1944_Chevrolet_Highboy_Pickup+Front_Passenger_Side0.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 25
  • 0604cct_02_1944_chevy_highboy_pickup_front_quarter_z.jpg
    0604cct_02_1944_chevy_highboy_pickup_front_quarter_z.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 0604cct_08_1944_highboy_pickup_side_z.jpg
    0604cct_08_1944_highboy_pickup_side_z.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 41
  • images.jpg
    images.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 26
I don't like it....too shiney. :D

The proportions are perfect....and that is not easy to do, but the most important aspect of what we do.

Took a little while but I did come across the black and silver one I had mentioned in a previous post, (actually I found it while looking for something else). At any rate here are the pics I was referring to. The nose is a bit different, but it's not bad. I still like the modified original grill version though. But then that's just me.

Gorgeous!!! Love the wide 5s. About all I would change for looks is the radials. What Hemi does it have?

What Hemi does it have?

I'm afraid I don't know, I just have the pictures saved on a disc for reference, I like to see what works and what don't. There seems to be a lot workin on this one.;) My own is going to be on a different track...and style. The final out come that I see in my head has changed a half dozen times because of the fine examples that are out there. Once I start, I'll have decided what she'll look like in the end.:D

I know its not a Chevy, but thought this look good Last Year at Reno Rockabilly Riot!

Attachments

• RRiot 2013 (12).jpg
    RRiot 2013 (12).jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 15

Latest posts

Back