Big Block Bantam

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob, as I said before those 10 spoke late model rims look real nice on front of that Bantam Hot Rod. I just saw a set of magnesium 12 spoke spindle mounts over on the "other" site for $2200. I really don't think $2200 for some rims will make the beast any quicker in the 1/4.:eek::D

I experienced my first panic attack. I got in the Bantam, which is no easy feat for someone of my age, and realized it is so small inside that it is practically undriveable. Dizziness followed by shallow breathing and then a headache as I tried in vain to think of ways to make more interior room. And I don't even have the door bar in it yet.

I haven't found a way to ease the entry and exit yet but I did move the engine and trans and firewall forward 2 1/2" to provide more leg room. I'll have to remake the trans tunnel and the floor.

Tom, how are things going for you in sunny Cali? Ask your friends if any of them need a drag Crosley.

I boxed in the lower part of the firewall extension. This time I did it outside the forward tubes. Picked up the metal to make a new floor and rear bulkhead. Hopefully it will be roomier inside.

In my ongoing effort to make better space inside the Bantam. I am not using the seat I spent so much time building. Instead I made a new rear bulkhead and driveshaft hoop and tunnel. Now making the transmission tunnel. All this with an eye toward making seats that will provide more headroom and legroom.

You sure are taking alot of pains to make that 10 second ride comfy..heheh! This one gonna do some cruising too?

All the pieces for the new floor are done. Just have to bolt 'em in. I cut up the seat and made a new bench seat frame out of it. Gotta get some materials at the home improvement store tomorrow to continue on it. Then I'll make new seat belt mounts and relocate the shifter.

Yes smallfoot, the Bantam will see some street duty. I want it to be comfortable enough to survive more than a few miles. That's a big order for a little car.

Spent several hours remaking the seat and it still isn't roomy enough for normal size people.Taking tomorrow off and visiting the final resting place of my wife's parents, sister & brother. I'll make Rev. 4 of the seat Sunday. I've got ideas...

Spent several hours remaking the seat and it still isn't roomy enough for normal size people.Taking tomorrow off and visiting the final resting place of my wife's parents, sister & brother. I'll make Rev. 4 of the seat Sunday. I've got ideas...
How did Rev. 4 turn out?

Here's Rev 4. Got quite a bit of tilt to the bottom, which helps. Because the foot box is so narrow I'll mount the gas pedal on the transmission tunnel. My foot feels pretty good up there.

Took it apart for some welding on the floor braces and cowl extension. Next is dressing the welds and bodywork. Thankfully it's a small car. Then, final assembly. That part is fun.

dressing welds

you know bob, nhra prohibits grinding welds. they want to see the weld. also, are you going to put some diagonals in those upper frame rails? they are quite long and need some frame support.

Nice to hear from you Gary. I have not done any grinding on the cage welds. I know better. I was referring to sheet metal and sub floor welds that need grinding. Thanks for being concerned though. I'm thinking I might add an upright or diagonal near the motor mount. It really isn't that long. It's a little car that looks long.

My dragster has a rectangular tube frame forward of the firewall with no tubing brace and it is longer. Granted it has only run 11.70 so far but plans are to get in the 10's with it.

Keep in mind it's a "door" car a licensed hot rod, and not an Altered. I'm building to the rule book in terms of cage design and will not run quicker than 10.00. In fact, my comfort zone is high 10's & low 11's. Call me chicken...

Tom, thanks for the Info.

Latest posts

Back