want some of these motors

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just can't see doing that to a Road Runner. :( A 440 would be more fun. :rolleyes:
A ratty old truck, I could see it much better. But anybody that has ever ran a piece of equipment with one of those two stroke Detroits on it will know how annoying the sound of it is after a while. Ran a loader with a 4-71 in it, it would scream at you all day long. I also drove a semi that had a 8V92 in it for a while, the sound at the end of the day would have your ears ringing. May be one reason I have tinnitus today. :confused: And yes, both had mufflers. A straight piped Detroit would make you deaf in no time.

Yeah, I lost part of the hearing in my right ear from sitting next to a 6-110 in a Terex scraper one summer.
Pretty cool engines, in a way. 53, 71,92 and 110 cubic inches per cylinder and have as many cylinders as you need. I think the 53s came in 3,4 and V6 configurations, might have been a 2 cylinder but all those I have seen were 2-71.

I had a friend who built a 39 IH rat rod with a 4BT. It hauled butt and got close to 30 mpg. No rolling coal with the engine stock. I'm also not a fan of huge clouds of black smoke. That just means you know there is plenty of fuel because there is too much. It doesn't mean power.

Latest posts

Back