Kechi 1949 3100 4.3 4L60e

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it was spring break this week, so my daughter beeps got her much deserved time. after my wife came home from work though I plopped the motor/trans back in.

attachment.php

everything lined up perfectly.

attachment.php

attachment.php

started on the firewall mods, pulled the glass so I didnt pit it.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

should be able to finish the cab mounts tomorrow and most of the firewall welding, might have a cab on

I decided to build a front end, jeff at bowtie bits says he has the core support I need so maybe I will have that monday right when I need it.

Attachments

• IMG_3222.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_3519.jpg
    IMG_3519.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3525.jpg
    IMG_3525.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_3526.jpg
    IMG_3526.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3527.jpg
    IMG_3527.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_3530.jpg
    IMG_3530.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3518.jpg
    IMG_3518.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 123
thanks fellas, I didnt get to enjoy the last one at ALL, so I am hoping to have this one driving pretty quick.

got the outside top and sides done, need some hammer work to get the bottom inside/outside done.

attachment.php

cab mounts together and tacked on for fit check.

attachment.php

pulled the gas tank, found a brown recluse nest, probably forty or so living it up in the sticks and dirt. some carb cleaner took care of most, found this one waving his front legs at me when I started to mount the cab.

attachment.php

flipped the cab on its nose again to pull the rear shackles and trim the reinforcement, then popped the cab on for a fit check.

attachment.php

fits good!

attachment.php

attachment.php

I had it inside briefly but when I pulled the original heater a 20lb squirrel nest was behind it, so I had to push it back out for cleaning. then I was able to start laying out the HVAC for the firewall chunk.

attachment.php

tomorrow is a work day, its supposed to rain all day so I am glad its inside.

Attachments

• IMG_3544.jpg
    IMG_3544.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3558.jpg
    IMG_3558.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3545.jpg
    IMG_3545.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3542.jpg
    IMG_3542.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3540.jpg
    IMG_3540.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3539.jpg
    IMG_3539.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3537.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 90
well, one step back, three steps forward. you say I got that wrong? not a chance, read on

I needed a solution to the cowl on this cab, the door was obviously windblown and REALLY dented the cowl as seen

attachment.php

the hinge plate is bent a little too, so I figured to make a template from the passenger side (for the correct angle) and flip it to get the jamb in the right spot. I planned to cut along the jamb, across the lead line, and at a point lower to peel the metal up enough to bang it flat. failing getting it flat, I knew bowtie bits sold that repair panel, but without the vent. so I ran by to look.

first, he has the 35 style taillights in stock again, I have wanted to use them on the last 3 trucks and they were completely out of stock everywhere. even online sellers showed them as available until you added them to cart. so I picked up a set for Kechi. I need to do an LED conversion, but I love the look.

attachment.php

I also picked up a core support while I was there, I was going to cut that GMC one I got at the swap meet but heck, might as well start with a chevy. and here was jeffs solution to my bent cowl

attachment.php

I am not going to lie, I almost took the honda to bowtie bits but something made me take the truck. he had it loaded in a couple minutes!

so while it LOOKS like I have to swap the s10 firewall chunk over that is welded in my current cab, its much easier done than said, AND this cab has a glovebox door AND this cab doesnt have rust in the windshield frame AND this cab has 3 hinges AND this cab has good hood hinges... so all I really need is some OEM 5 window glass because I have heard horror stories on making new glass fit

oh wait, remember that guy I cleaned out in salina a year ago? two sets of original corner glass. :lol:

attachment.php

so I am wondering what I will do with those days I was going to do rust repair. it needs some flat work on the floor but no problem there, and it has the same holes in the bottoms of the hinge pockets (firewall side) so no extra work there. maybe I will just go to the s10 salvage tomorrow and cut a new firewall chunk? maybe I will just design one from sheet, since I will be doing a few more.

anyway, pedal mounts tomorrow!

Attachments

• IMG_3567.jpg
    IMG_3567.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3566.jpg
    IMG_3566.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3563.jpg
    IMG_3563.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3568.jpeg
    IMG_3568.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 74
I feel like you get more "work work" done torchie. I am always looking for a faster way to do the same things.

If I update too much, let me know, I can store it up for a week. I usually get stuff done every day and sometimes hold the updates. :eek:

I got the pedal mount done, I cut two so I can zoom past that milestone next time.

attachment.php

attachment.php

its just tacked right now, to make sure it all lines up, but I am pretty certain it all lines up. just have to try it out then build the column mount onto it.

visited wayne, picked up the second cab and front clip from him. putting it on the flatbed was.... fun.

attachment.php

made me wonder how it was going to come off. I decided to disassemble it on the flatbed, so I took the cab loose from the fenders and hood and frame section. the frame only went as far as the front cab mounts, so it was in a little tension with all that weight hanging cantilever. no surprise the bolts were stuck in the front cab mounts (rust) and so I was jiggling and shaking and...

this is what a cab looks like within an inch of falling off the truck.

attachment.php

I would have cursed if it hadnt been so funny, I finally got the cab bolts out and gave just the littlest shake to the door jamb and the cab leaned back like it was going over, then just stopped. I laughed and used the forklift to take off the cab and front clip.

more tomorrow. the thing I was waiting on, the thing that made me sell the last one early, was a property with a shop. I can say today it looks like the deal is dead. which is sad, but at least now I can order my cnc plasma table and bring those two blue 52s home.

Attachments

• IMG_3572.jpg
    IMG_3572.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3575.jpg
    IMG_3575.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3581.jpg
    IMG_3581.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3586.jpg
    IMG_3586.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 80
Oh the joys of working by yourself....ha glad it worked out
sorry to hear the deal fell through, if you wanted to move
to WV. I'm close to putting my place up for sale..;):D
2400 sq ft garage and 1200 sq ft storage building....just sayin'
oh yeah big house too ;)

Sorry to hear about the real estate deal. I can't speak for everyone, but no you won't overload us with posting. I appreciate all your updates!

Latest posts

Back