Dana 44, 30 spline factory lsd, strength?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colorodders

I have a dana 44, 30 spline axles, 373 gears, factory posi. It's narrow, came out of mail jeep. Wondering if it is strong enough for the '27 roadster if I push to 450 hp/tq?

I've heard the 44 is about the same as a 8.8 ford....

Guess you could compare that to a 10bolt chevy....not sure if that helps or not.....

I have a dana 44, 30 spline axles, 373 gears, factory posi. It's narrow, came out of mail jeep. Wondering if it is strong enough for the '27 roadster if I push to 450 hp/tq?

It's certainly stronger than the 19 spline 3.92 dana 44 I am running. You would have a Trak Lok Posi which is a clutch type posi so I think you have to run modifiers in your gear oil. I have the Powr Lock posi which is supposed to be stronger, but my axles are much weaker.

The dana 44 was rated at 3,400 or 4,100 ft lbs depending if it was a low or high pinion.

So far I haven't had any issues with my dana, but I am only running skinny bias ply tires with a mild SBC 350.

Just remember they ran the 44 in Vettes from 85-96, Jag ran them in the XJ12, the XJ40, the E-type, and some other models. Ford ran them on their trucks for a long time, up to the f-250s. Dodge also ran them on some ramchargers, 1/2 ton and some 3/4 ton trucks.

I would think unless you are setting up where you will hook up hard, it will probably survive fine. I'm not worrying about it on our coupe, but I don't see how I will ever hook up hard enough to hurt it with the skinny 16" tires.

Cheers
RustyNCA

Latest posts

Back